Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ITT a BU 1L and a BC 1L answer questions with civility  (Read 24857 times)

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: ITT a BU 1L and a BC 1L answer questions with civility
« Reply #180 on: April 02, 2008, 10:24:12 PM »
Do any of the BU'ers know much about BU's LRAP?

Thanks!

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 03, 2008, 12:07:18 PM »
Also, what is the curve at BU?  I found some information on the web, but it seems to be two years old...

tashakies

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #182 on: April 03, 2008, 05:17:33 PM »
Im curious about BC's curve too. Is it very difficult to stay right above median? Someone told me since most eevryone end up in the middle, you have to seriously slack off to graduate bottom quarter or half of the class.

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
« Reply #183 on: April 03, 2008, 05:27:15 PM »
Im curious about BC's curve too. Is it very difficult to stay right above median? Someone told me since most eevryone end up in the middle, you have to seriously slack off to graduate bottom quarter or half of the class.

I am confused by your question. By definition, half of the class will be above the median and 25% will be in the bottom quarter of the class.  So it is not any easier or harder than any other school.  If what you mean is, is it hard to got what one would consider a "poor" grade, then yes, that is true since only 15% get B- or lower. The 1st year curve at BC is as follows: 10% A, 15% A-, 25%B+, 35%B, 10% B-, 5% C+ (or lower).  There is some discretion with the curve (a prof. can give more B's and cut out on the high and low ends if they want for example).  The curve goes up for smaller classes (which is a lot of what you take 2nd/3rd year)
8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington
:-\ GW, WUSTL, Emory, WashLee, BostonU, Ariz, Minnesota
>:( Gtown, Mich, Nwestern, UIUC, Berk

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimmydahat
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 03, 2008, 05:37:27 PM »

I'd say it's actually harder to stay above the median at schools like BC than the T-14 or lower tier 1 schools. You have the perfect storm of smart folks (there are 170+ folks here who didn't get into Harvard, but wanted or had to stay in Boston) that have to work hard because market-paying jobs aren't guaranteed past top 1/3, and the curve is between a B and B+.

The exact 50% mark will vary each year based on grade distribution. For the class of 2009, a 3.24 placed one in the top half of the class.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 03, 2008, 11:03:19 PM »
Also, what is the curve at BU?  I found some information on the web, but it seems to be two years old...

Classes of 26 or more have a B+ curve. Smaller seminar classes (like Legal Writing) have an A- curve.

For your question about LRAP - sorry, I really don't know much of the details about it. That said, I do know that BU has a great PI program just based on what I have heard from other students and the career development office. Also, for 1Ls who want to work in PI their 1L summer, there's a sweet grant program (up to $4K for the summer) and most students who apply for it receive it.

Ah, so that information is credible. 

Thank you for the information!

kev199

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 07, 2008, 01:47:26 PM »
I sent my deposit in today along with another deposit.  Decisions are so difficult to make. ;)
Showing that waitlisters have a chance!

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 07, 2008, 01:59:53 PM »
I submitted my deposit to BC at the ASD.  BAMF - you definitely helped early in the process through both this thread, and the info you sent me in a message, so thanks a bunch for that.
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimmydahat
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 07, 2008, 03:39:54 PM »
I submitted my deposit to BC at the ASD.  BAMF - you definitely helped early in the process through both this thread, and the info you sent me in a message, so thanks a bunch for that.

I'm sure you won't regret your decision Andrew. Welcome to BC!

RockShox007

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 07, 2008, 06:04:09 PM »
LSD owned the BC ASD.