Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ITT a BU 1L and a BC 1L answer questions with civility  (Read 24598 times)

nubova

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: ITT a BU 1L and a BC 1L answer questions with civility
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2007, 12:34:17 AM »
I chose BC over BU, Vanderbilt and USC/USCLA. I loved my decision. There are only two schools with the alumni strong as ours. Notre Dame and UCLA/USC. I am happy with my decision

dullashell

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2007, 09:17:33 PM »
1) I've read posts on here mentioning applicants with outstanding numbers being rejected (not waitlisted, just rejected). From what you can gather from your classmates, etc., do you get a similar feeling? That many of your compatriots have more interesting/varied backgrounds or have some 'soft' accomplishments on their resumes and not just super-high test scores?

2) I think you've answered this one million times, and I know you are a 1L, but what is your sense of biglaw placement for BC applicants? I'm going to need to take out massive loans to finance my studies and if I choose BC, I'll likely need to at least start out at a large firm to help pay this off. Do you get the sense that biglaw is an option for students in the top 25%, top 33%, top half, etc.? I'd also assume those that do pursue this track choose to do so mainly in Boston.

Thanks in advance, and thanks again for all your responses heretofore. And I'm not specifically sure which posters on here are representing BU in this discussion, but those of you who are can feel free to chime in on the above questions re: BU if you're so inclined.  :)

It's a bit of a taboo among my group of friends to discuss LSAT scores and background info, so I don't have an estimate of how many people here with lower LSAT/GPA got in due to soft factors.  I don't think BU gives preference to local students, and if anything, it's the opposite.  I would say at least a third of the students are from the west coast, less than 15% are from MA and less than 20% are from New England.  If I have to pick a significant soft factor other than URM, it would be your undergrad school.  Quickly flipping through the facebook, at least 50% went to the ivies, michigan, berkeley, duke and the likes.

Regarding job placement, the general understanding is that if you're in the top 3rd, you should have no problem getting interviews and offers from biglaws in any market in the country.  If you're in the 30%-50% range, biglaw is still very viable as an option if you're good at interviewing or if you have a science background. In the lower 50%, you would have to rely more on networking and sending out targeted resumes to score biglaw positions, but it is not uncommon.  A family friend (BU grad) told me that 4 years after graduation, most people he knows from law school now work at big law or mid law mainly in NYC, DC, CA and Boston (in that order).  Seattle, and Texas are next in term of popularity.  Chicago and the Southeast are not popular with his class for some reason.  I'm from here, but ideally, I would like to work in NYC or CA for a few years before moving back to Boston.             

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2007, 07:38:45 PM »
practice exam procrastination bump
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

brdr123

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2007, 10:31:26 PM »
Not to but in, but I go to BU and yes the work load is ridiculous at times, but I absolutely love it... the environment is very inclusive and wonderful and so far it seems like the school cares a lot about producing well-rounded lawyers.
If you want my stats, just pm me

Phlootist

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2007, 10:41:44 PM »
I visited BC this summer and absolutely loved it.  I'm an AZ native but with family in Boston so I'm interested in heading there.  I've applied early notification with a 3.98/157, 164.  Do you know anything about multiple LSAT scores at BC?  I know BU's website says that take the higher score, so I am hopeful BC will do the same.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 12:02:10 AM »
I visited BC this summer and absolutely loved it.  I'm an AZ native but with family in Boston so I'm interested in heading there.  I've applied early notification with a 3.98/157, 164.  Do you know anything about multiple LSAT scores at BC?  I know BU's website says that take the higher score, so I am hopeful BC will do the same.

I don't know a whole lot but I would assume that like most other schools BC will take the higher LSAT.  I think you stand an excellent chance of getting in early notification (we have similar stats, and you are BC's bread abd butter applicant).  If you have any other questions let me know.  Good luck.

*returns to writing cover letters*
2L, Boston College Law

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Kittyl30

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2007, 02:20:31 AM »
my experience at BU has been great.  i LOOOVED all my professors and I think it helped me get motivated and do well on exams.  we had a good number of firms come to OCI ( i dont have much to compare it to though) as well as job fairs in many other cities.  the CDO is resourceful/helpful. and honestly the difference between BU and BC is pretty minimal when ti comes to job prospects. just do well at either of them and you'll be fine.
she says she's tired of life
everybody's tired of something..

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2007, 10:19:23 AM »
Is it snowing in Boston? (she said wistfully)

its actually low 60s today.  which is my kind of thing ... I hate snow.
2L, Boston College Law

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2007, 10:29:27 AM »
<tag> Bamf is the sole reason BC is on my application list. The kid should be a walking advertisement for the virtues of his school.

Looking to hear more about BU as well. At my firm, BU is trashtalked a lot (whether it deserves it or not). People seem to  respect the rigor at the school, but they say that the academic and social environment is uniquely cut-throat. Is this true?

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2007, 11:11:19 AM »
Is it snowing in Boston? (she said wistfully)

its actually low 60s today.  which is my kind of thing ... I hate snow.

Wow, and it's only 46 degrees here in southern PA.  All is not well with the world...