Law School Discussion

ITT a BU 1L and a BC 1L answer questions with civility

BearlyLegal

• And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ITT a BU 1L and a BC 1L answer questions with civility
« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2008, 05:43:38 PM »
I wanna work in PI too, and am risking a lot by going and turning down 90k at Tulane (which is a school that I LOVE) BTW, but BU is absolutely fantastic. I spent 2 hours today with a grad at my Biglaw firm talking about the school. He was extatic with his experience there.

I've heard this from someone else that works biglaw in NYC.  He knows people from BU, and he said they LOVED it there. 

Their teacher quality is supposedly top-notch.  I would enjoy that. 

I dunno, dude. You should really think about it. Out of all of these schools, only BU will give you the flexibility to leave it's home market. That's worth a LOT.

Edit: Also, there will be bears there!  ;)

The flexibility is another big plus about BU. 

But I'm still worried if I don't finish in the top half.  Is there anyone that can talk about this that goes to BU? 

I'm not lying to you when I say that it's one of my top choices. I applied for a public interest scholarship there also, so they might make the decision for me!  :)

And, the bear factor might sway me.  :D
::Crosses fingers for UO::  :)

Give me some more reasons to attend BU!  :P
Cheese and PC will be there! ;)

Touche!

I don't know though.  If wiimote doesn't go, I doubt I can force myself to attend.  ::)
LMFAO.

Look, it's a fantastic school. The numerical data supports it head and shoulders above the other options you are considering. Also, bears, cranes, and cheese will be there. If that doesn't convince you, basically you are crazy, and can't be convinced! ;)

« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2008, 05:48:51 PM »
I wanna work in PI too, and am risking a lot by going and turning down 90k at Tulane (which is a school that I LOVE) BTW, but BU is absolutely fantastic. I spent 2 hours today with a grad at my Biglaw firm talking about the school. He was extatic with his experience there.

I've heard this from someone else that works biglaw in NYC.  He knows people from BU, and he said they LOVED it there. 

Their teacher quality is supposedly top-notch.  I would enjoy that. 

I dunno, dude. You should really think about it. Out of all of these schools, only BU will give you the flexibility to leave it's home market. That's worth a LOT.

Edit: Also, there will be bears there!  ;)

The flexibility is another big plus about BU. 

But I'm still worried if I don't finish in the top half.  Is there anyone that can talk about this that goes to BU? 

I'm not lying to you when I say that it's one of my top choices. I applied for a public interest scholarship there also, so they might make the decision for me!  :)

And, the bear factor might sway me.  :D
::Crosses fingers for UO::  :)

Give me some more reasons to attend BU!  :P
Cheese and PC will be there! ;)

Touche!

I don't know though.  If wiimote doesn't go, I doubt I can force myself to attend.  ::)
LMFAO.

Look, it's a fantastic school. The numerical data supports it head and shoulders above the other options you are considering. Also, bears, cranes, and cheese will be there. If that doesn't convince you, basically you are crazy, and can't be convinced! ;)

People do tell me I'm crazy, so you may be onto something there.   :D

Once I have all of the financial info (I should have it by April 1st, after exchanges with various schools), I plan on making a decision in a week or so.  I'll let you know what I decide!

BearlyLegal

• And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: March 21, 2008, 05:56:11 PM »
Ok, but you should know that I am rooting for you to go to school with me. :)

« Reply #153 on: March 21, 2008, 06:04:32 PM »
Ok, but you should know that I am rooting for you to go to school with me. :)

This is duly noted!

« Reply #154 on: March 21, 2008, 06:32:11 PM »
Bear is dangerous now, he is turning into a BU troll.  *hides under a BC acceptance.
Ok, if you wanna go to BC, that's cool too! I just want you in boston to go drinking with!

Cheese, I depend on you to brainwash PC into going to BC over USC. We would make an awesome group!

I don;t think there will be a need for brainwashing.  Once she receives a "generous" scholarship package from USC, SUC won;t be her 1st choice anymore.

« Reply #155 on: March 26, 2008, 12:51:43 PM »
So here's my question: I went to BC for undergrad and I've been accepted to both BC and BU for law school. I'm pretty well-informed on BC Law and what it's about, but do you guys think there is any value to saying that I should go to BU because then I'll have both BC and BU alumni networks to back me up in the future? Or is it better to be a double Eagle? Or does that just not make too much sense?

Also, I'm interested to hear what you guys have to say about BC's and BU's constitutional law programs and which is better, and also which school is stronger in getting its students judicial clerkships/internships. Is there really any difference to these two in national recognition?

Thanks!

nukelaw

• Get your eagle on
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 26, 2008, 02:13:38 PM »
So here's my question: I went to BC for undergrad and I've been accepted to both BC and BU for law school. I'm pretty well-informed on BC Law and what it's about, but do you guys think there is any value to saying that I should go to BU because then I'll have both BC and BU alumni networks to back me up in the future? Or is it better to be a double Eagle? Or does that just not make too much sense?

Also, I'm interested to hear what you guys have to say about BC's and BU's constitutional law programs and which is better, and also which school is stronger in getting its students judicial clerkships/internships. Is there really any difference to these two in national recognition?

Thanks!

I can only speak to the BC alum network, but I would say that double eagles aren't hurting for connections. After three schools, BC has the strongest alum network I've seen, largely due to the sports teams that keep alums interested. I don't know how the BU network would add to this per se, since it isn't like choosing a PhD program where you have to go to a different place than your undergrad to return. It's more important to pay attention to a school's ability to place graduates in the market you're interested in. BC still seems stronger in Boston because of the strong alum network.

As for con law, I don't know what you would consider a specialty. All con law professors by definition seem to be the rock stars of the academic legal community. The Dean at BC is a noted conservative constitutional scholar, while another con law professor is a former clerk to Souter and on the more liberal side of things.

BC placed 14% of its graduates in clerkships in 2006. I don't know the breakdown between state/fed. I imagine the clerkship opportunities from BC/BU are similar and will largely be determined by your grades, membership on a journal, and success in getting a note published. Even then, coming from a school not in the top 5 will make federal district clerkships competitive, and federal appellate clerkships very hard to get.

nukelaw

• Get your eagle on
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 26, 2008, 02:18:58 PM »
So BC is in my top 2 right now.  I have a few questions.  Thanks for your help.

1. What is the best thing about BC Law
2. Where is the best place to live
3. What are the dining options like in the best area to live
4. Should I bring my car
5. Is the student body pretty national or are most kids local
6. Can we buy football season tix
7. Thanks again

1. Collegiality - "The Disneyland of Law Schools"
2. Depends on what you're looking for, but most will tell you Brighton/Allston.
3. Boston pubs tend to look the same - bar, dining area, dance floor, and a television with the Red Sox game on in each of them.
4. Definitely.
5. Pretty national and getting more so, as well as international. Incoming class is from 34 states and three other countries: http://www.bc.edu/schools/law/admission/profile.html
6. Yup. As soon as you have your student ID number and are set up in the system you can get student rate. If you want better seats, just call up the ticket office and buy regular. Same applies for basketball and hockey.
7. You're welcome.

nukelaw

• Get your eagle on
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 27, 2008, 03:19:50 PM »
Bump for the next 30 mins to get me through class. Fire away.

nukelaw

• Get your eagle on
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 28, 2008, 06:02:31 AM »
Well, since I'm bored at work, if you're still around -- anything you feel like hasn't been covered so far in this thread?  General thoughts?

I think two other places I would check out right now to get a feel for BC and its student body would be a student-run blog (http://www.eagleionline.com) and the message board that admissions sets up for admitted students.

One of the comments I've heard in the past is that people respected the fact that there was a dialog happening at BC and we weren't afraid to have admits see our dirty laundry.