-
« on: November 21, 2007, 09:32:54 AM »
-

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: Suffolk University Law School
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 09:41:40 AM »
Suffolk is well thought of in this city ... it also seems to be very public-interest oriented ... when all the H grads split town and the BU and BC kids become corporate whores Suffolk is left to provide the government lawyers that make this city and state run.  It is the best of the "other three" schools in Beantown, and I would pick it over NEU and NESL any day of the week.  And yeah, great location/building.
It is, however, a large class size and I hear it is somewhat competitive.  You'll do ok in New england, though ... while it is common for their grads to stick around Boston I would say that a Suffolk degree would do fairly well in other NE cities (Providence, Hartford and the Conn. coast, Portland, etc.)

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 09:50:05 AM »
I'm actually in Boston visiting schools, right now. I accidentally stumbled on Suffolk because the T-line was broken.

I have to say, the location is *amazing*.  The building looks brand new. If you like Boston, this location is prime real-estate.  Not sure how housing works out though.

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 12:23:18 PM »
I don't think you pick Suffolk over NEU, but it is a fine option in Boston

Kittyl30

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 02:49:35 PM »
if you want to work outside of boston I dont recommend suffolk

Kittyl30

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 02:51:47 PM »
oops i like how you just said that before i posted! heehee

i have a few friends at suffolk and they all seem to think its pretty good

Kittyl30

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 10:31:59 PM »
the curve is 2.7 which i think is pretty terrible..

El_Che

• View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 10:39:07 PM »
Stupid question that I've never quite understood: How exactly does a school calculate a curve? What does a 2.7 curve mean for my life as a student?

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 04:55:15 PM »
A 2.7 median curve means that half the students in any given class will have less than a 2.7 GPA in that course. I attended a school with a curve like this 1L year, and I can assure you it won't be fun when grades come out.

A certain number of people will fail no matter what, probably around 10-15% will be kicked out after 1L year. Don't be surprised if your classes have a fair amount of retakers in them either. At some schools with curves like this, a C- or a D grade is not considered passing, and students with those grades are forced to retake classes they earned those grades in.

Think bad grades in law school are limited to those who are dumb and lazy? Think again. I knew quite a few bright, hardworking people who couldn't perform well on law exams for whatever reason. Those students would've been better off at a school with a more generous curve, probably.

The first time I applied to law school, I considered Suffolk, but ultimately turned it down for the following reasons:

1. Suffolk is a private school and very expensive. Odds are if I ended up dead average I would've gotten the same type of job I'd get as an average student at a cheaper in-state school closer to home.

2. Boston is an expensive city. I didn't want to rack up tons of $$$ in living expenses.

3. Suffolk has a large class size, which doesn't bode well for a low ranked school. Demand for grads from low ranked schools is low, and you'll face more competition from your classmates for the jobs available than you would at a smaller school.

Stupid question that I've never quite understood: How exactly does a school calculate a curve? What does a 2.7 curve mean for my life as a student?

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 04:59:01 PM »
Better yet: What kind of job can a dead average Suffolk student get? What about those who are below average?

That is the question people in this thread should be asking, because you will all likely wind up with average grades or below.

In house counsel jobs don't usually go to fresh law grads, by the way.

I spoke with a friend of mine tonight, who is a 2L.  He is ranked 20-30 in his class of 400.  He could not get a biglaw job.  He said you need to be top 5%.

Hmmm what kind of job COULD he get?  I'm not looking to go into BigLaw...

I want to do public interest immigration or at least in-house counsel or mid-size firm so I can pay off my loans...