Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone thinking IP Law?  (Read 3244 times)

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone thinking IP Law?
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 08:02:53 AM »
If I can convince the USPTO that my coursework qualifies me to sit for the patent exam, I will be taking that this summer.  I finished with a computer science degree.  I started at an engineering school for the first 3 semesters of undergraduate, but the chemistry sequence for all engineers (even chemical engineers) did not have a lab for the second semester.  I have two lab credits, one was a general safety/basic chemistry lab I took over the summer prior to starting and the other went along with the lecture in the first semester.  So, I have 10 hours in chemistry, USPTO wants 8, but my hours in chemistry are not in consecutive semesters with a lab for each.  I also have the physics courses , but they were not taken in consecutive semesters.

So, I guess I will see.  It is somewhat puzzling why the USPTO requires computer science degrees to be ABET accredited for the patent exam when some of the top computer science programs in the country are not accredited by ABET.

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 12:10:13 PM »
I also have the physics courses , but they were not taken in consecutive semesters.

The General Requirements Bulletin says the credits must be obtained in "two sequential courses," which suggests that one course must be a prerequisite for the other (i.e., the courses are sequentially ordered), but doesn't require on its face that they be taken "in consecutive semesters."  Is the PTO telling you otherwise?
Sorry, I meant to say that I have the same for physics courses, more hours than required, but not the lab credits.  The first class had a lab, the second class at a different school did not have a lab.  I have not applied for the exam yet. 

ModernMo

• In the 24th year
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 11:39:34 PM »
I'm interested in IP.  Out of curiosity, as far as being attractive for a job, I won't have a degree in any science or tech field, just some course work; however, I should have two patents by the time I graduate, one related to electrical engineering and one related to mechanical engineering.  Would this bolster the ol' cv any?

Karma Sucks

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 12:58:36 AM »
I'm interested in IP.  Out of curiosity, as far as being attractive for a job, I won't have a degree in any science or tech field, just some course work; however, I should have two patents by the time I graduate, one related to electrical engineering and one related to mechanical engineering.  Would this bolster the ol' cv any?

Maybe a bit.  You would have to spin it to emphasize the technical work you did as an inventor, and your overall technical background.  From what I understand, without the tech/science degree it is going to be very hard to get your foot in the door for patent prosecution work, but less so for IP litigation.

ModernMo

• In the 24th year
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 12:13:05 PM »
Eh, that's fine.  There are other things I'm more interested in, so I'm not too worried about it.

BoRNnTHeUSA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 05:49:01 PM »
Nope, no interest.
"I believe that what self-centered men have torn down, other-centered men can build up." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

Deepfry

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 02:48:55 AM »
I'm interested in the trademark and copyright end of IP. I have a masters in information science and have been working as a librarian for several years. I think patents are fascinating but I'm clearly not qualified to do patent law. Hopefully this will work out. If not, I've got three years to figure it out.