Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What's a "Strong" Major?  (Read 2153 times)

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
What's a "Strong" Major?
« on: November 20, 2007, 06:53:42 PM »
I know that some majors (like Chemical Engineering) are significantly more difficult than others, but what are some majors that are traditionally considered to be "strong" by most law schools? Also, I am a Business Management, does anyone know how that major fares in the admission process?
2L and counting...

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: What's a "Strong" Major?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 07:01:48 PM »
the strongest major is the one that you WANT to study.  If you want to be studying the subject you will (hopefully) do better, and while adcomms might use perceived difficulty of major as a tie breaker once in a while it is no substitute for having good grades.

there are plenty of business majors in law school.   doubt it is treated any different from the loads of poli sci and english majors.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

gedtotop10

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 07:02:04 PM »
Business Management is considered one of the easiest majors.

Anecdotally, would you really consider any class besides Tapley's finance class in your major at UF difficult -_-

Rigel Rising

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 07:03:00 PM »
Management is not looked upon favorably, but it's still better than accounting.

gedtotop10

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 07:06:12 PM »
incorrect. accounting is considered to be a more difficult major, and has more practical use in law school (TAX LAW)

studymaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 07:11:40 PM »
incorrect. accounting is considered to be a more difficult major, and has more practical use in law school (TAX LAW)

Yeah accounting certainly isn't a wimpy major by any means. And gedtotop10 is right about that, law schools like people with a practical skill they can combine with legal knowledge later (think better job placement).
It is whispered that soon, if we all heed the call, the piper will lead us to reason.

rsr28

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 07:25:30 PM »
Hard engineering and hard sciences tend to be looked on quite favorably, because they indicate academic capabilities and are very unique among law school applicants.

Rigel Rising

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 07:54:55 PM »

Sounds to me like someone's never read an interview with an actual Admissions Officer. They'll all tell you that majors that have a more theoretical approach are preferred by law schools over something more vocational like accounting.

Just because something sounds logical to you doesn't make it true.

bridget_jones

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 07:57:52 PM »
what do you guys think about healthcare majors such as nursing, physical therapy etc?

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 08:11:55 PM »
Lol. I'm History/Poli Sci... so I am TWICE the typical law school applicant.  ::)
Vandy 1L... really?