Law School Discussion

Why is the LSAT So Important?!

Peanut_Butter_Jelly_Time

• Is It Already Peanut Butter and Jelly Time?
    • View Profile
Why is the LSAT So Important?!
« on: November 19, 2007, 01:14:45 PM »

i know that this topic has been discussed before, but i still can't understand why a three-hour test matters more than years of college credit, work experience, and ravishing good looks.

Re: Why is the LSAT So Important?!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 01:46:15 PM »
It's easier to compare LSAT scores than GPAs.

gclemen1

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 05:08:10 PM »
Simply put, the reason it is so important is because the LSAT, coupled with UG grades, is THE SINGLE BEST predictor of first year grades that they have come up with.  It is not perfect, but when you have to create a blanket policy like that, nothing is going to be.

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 06:38:36 PM »
I fear I may be risking my life by telling you all this, but the top secret reality is that law schools want to make sure you have what it takes to neatly fill out forms and darken 125 bubbles in 3 hours. The actual test, the questions, the "survival girl" and "Mr. Hack n'cough" plants and are just distractions. On test day, ignore everything else and make sure you NEATLY fill out the forms and bubbles.

One more thing. This is ultra top top secret. On the essay writing section, make sure to...oh no! They're here... They've tracked me down!!....THEY'RE ON TO M@$%952325#@#%@@@... END TRANSMISSION.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 07:32:11 PM »
Simply put, the reason it is so important is because the LSAT, coupled with UG grades, is THE SINGLE BEST predictor of first year grades that they have come up with.  It is not perfect, but when you have to create a blanket policy like that, nothing is going to be.
I hear this time and again, and other people must hear it to, but they refuse to listen... this is EXACTLY right

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 08:26:15 PM »
It's also not just a 3 hour test.  It's a 3 hour test that takes 3 months of preparation.

K?

• Do You Believe Her
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 09:34:11 AM »
Agreed with pretty much everything above.  It's a way to measure how able you are to think in the way you will need to to succeed in law school, and it's an equalizer.

Hannibal

• I love it when a plan comes together
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 10:03:42 AM »
It's also not just a 3 hour test.  It's a 3 hour test that takes 3 months of preparation.

Hmmmm.  Sounds exactly like law school...