Law School Discussion

"Double" Flawed MoR + an Assumption question

dubsy

• View Profile
"Double" Flawed MoR + an Assumption question
« on: November 19, 2007, 12:37:57 PM »
June '05, Section 2, 20

Professor Donnelly's exams are always more difficult than Professor Curtis's exams. The question about dinosaurs was on Professor Donnelly's last exam. Therefore, the question must be difficult.

Which one of the following exhibits both of the logical flaws exhibited in the argument above?

I couldn't decide between:
(B) Porter's new book of poetry is better than any of her other books of poetry. This poem must be from Porter's new book, so it must be good.
(D) Shield's first novel has a more complicated plot than any other that she has written. Hence, that plot must be very complex.

What are the "two" logical flaws being exhibited here?  I'm only seeing how a definitive-quality in the conclusion is being drawn on a relative comparison.

June '05, Section 3, 15

Critics: Works of literature often present protagonists who scorn allegiance to their society and who advocate detachment rather than civic-mindedness. However, modern literature is distinguished from the literature of earlier eras in part because it more frequently treats such protagonists sympathetically. Sympathetic treatment of such characters suggests to readers that one should be unconcerned about contributing to societal good. Thus, modern literature can damage individuals who appropriate this attitude, as well as damage society at large.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the critic's argument relies?

I was only able to narrow it down to these two, but neither really made sense to me.
(B) It is to the advantage of some individuals that they be concerned with contributing to societal good
(E) Modern literature is generally not as conducive to societal good as was the literature of earlier erasr

From reading the stimulus, what is the "hole" that you immediately identify?  To me, it was the leap between being "unconcerned about contributing to societal good" and "damaging individuals who appropriate this attitude", but none of the ACs seemed to address this.  Clearly, B does, because it is the CR - could someone explain how that translates into the unstated assumption here though?

Thanks in advance!

dubsy

• View Profile
Re: "Double" Flawed MoR + an Assumption question
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 01:02:31 PM »
besides the whole-part flaw, what's the second flaw in the first question?

luke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 01:08:11 PM »

2. "more difficult" =/= "difficult", just as "better" =/= "good"

btw, the whole-part flaw re-occurs in the other thread that you started

---

as for the other question

there is no explicit basis for the conclusion that "modern literature can damage individuals who appropriate this attitude [of detachment]"  unless you assume that a sense of civic purpose is good for at least some of them.

dubsy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 01:19:34 PM »

2. "more difficult" =/= "difficult", just as "better" =/= "good"

btw, the whole-part flaw re-occurs in the other thread that you started

?? which thread - the c/e one??

luke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 01:24:53 PM »

?? which thread - the c/e one??

sorry, yes: the c/e one.

this:

"No one in the control group experienced a rise in body temperature just before bedtime"

is not a conclusion supported by the passage.

dubsy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 01:29:11 PM »
i'm not really seeing the whole/part flaw there, can you explain?

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 03:44:14 AM »

the two professors can both give very very very easy exams, but one requires you to write your name in cursive, while the other wants it in print.

Dude, I don't know about you, but writing out that long-ass LSAT agreement in cursive is definitely A LOT more "difficult" for me in comparison to print!!!

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 04:05:14 AM »
June '05, Section 2, 20

Professor Donnelly's exams are always more difficult than Professor Curtis's exams. The question about dinosaurs was on Professor Donnelly's last exam. Therefore, the question must be difficult.

Which one of the following exhibits both of the logical flaws exhibited in the argument above?

I couldn't decide between:
(B) Porter's new book of poetry is better than any of her other books of poetry. This poem must be from Porter's new book, so it must be good.
(D) Shield's first novel has a more complicated plot than any other that she has written. Hence, that plot must be very complex.

The stimulus talks about comparison between Professor Donnelly's(X) and prof. curtis(Y)
while, choice D lacks Y element.