Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Undergrad Quality??  (Read 1268 times)

Camping Out at the Mailbox

• View Profile
    • Email
Undergrad Quality??
« on: November 19, 2007, 11:58:09 AM »
My undergrad school looks poor on paper.  The mean LSAT is a 149, and mean GPA is 3.21.  I have 168/4.02.  I am wondering if anyone knows how much these means will affect my application?  Thanks.

iLukeisamazing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
Re: Undergrad Quality??
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 12:10:13 PM »
My undergrad school looks poor on paper.  The mean LSAT is a 149, and mean GPA is 3.21.  I have 168/4.02.  I am wondering if anyone knows how much these means will affect my application?  Thanks.

Little to none, if not less. My undergrad is not even ranked it's so bad, mean LSAT is 149 as well, GPA is meh. Your LSAT, your GPA, and your soft factors are what matter. I mean, I guess going to HYP or whatever could push someone in over you if EVERYTHING else is equal. Don't worry about it man.

nycdog

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 12:12:25 PM »
i wouldn't worry about it. my undergrad situation was similar to yours (average LSAT 150 and GPA 3.3) and i never had a reason to suspect that my application was treated differently. if you took challenging advanced level courses and branched out outside of your major, you should be golden. actually, it might make your application look better - a stellar student in the ocean of mediocrity.  

edaze

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 12:15:18 PM »
I don't know.

Perhaps I'm trying to justify having a lower GPA than you, but it seems to me that it helps decide students with the same LSAT score. At a known university, with an average GPA/LSAT of 163/3.4, one's grades mean more than at an unknown university with the average you mentioned.

I cannot help but think it matters. I know a 168, 4.0 who graduated from an unknown university (with a very low LSAT/GPA average) and couldn't make it into the t14.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 12:38:21 PM »
I hope it matters :/

nycdog

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 01:24:08 PM »
hold on, i know someone from my Unknown school who got into 8 out of top 14 schools (non-URM). the fact that we all know someone does not make it one way or the other. yes, if you go to a bad school and merely show up for classes, chances are your GPA will be pretty high. however, the same rules do not apply to LSAT. to be honest, this conversation is like crying over spilled milk. none of us can change the fact that we went to one school or another. it's time to move on.

Camping Out at the Mailbox

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 01:39:44 PM »
hold on, i know someone from my Unknown school who got into 8 out of top 14 schools (non-URM). the fact that we all know someone does not make it one way or the other. yes, if you go to a bad school and merely show up for classes, chances are your GPA will be pretty high. however, the same rules do not apply to LSAT. to be honest, this conversation is like crying over spilled milk. none of us can change the fact that we went to one school or another. it's time to move on.

I've come to that realization in the last hour or so.  Just to give more insight, my school is not unknown, just a satellite campus, that is ranked distinctly.  I attend the University of Michigan, but not the Ann Arbor campus.  My campus' rankings have improved drastically over the last few years, but its always in that shadow...  Thanks for all of your insight.

TrumpWho??

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 01:47:56 PM »
Quality of School doesnt paint a picture of an applicant. An applicant from Harvard could have gotten a 3.75 but didnt participate in any extracurriculars and took the easiest major. Then you could have a student from a tier-4 with a 3.75 who was a chemical engineering major and involved in many extracurriculars. Who is the better candidate if they have the same lsat score?

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 03:00:40 PM »
Maybe if your school is a major feeder school andthe adcomm is familure with its applicants. Otherwise, I doubt it has much impact.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

Zenith Electronics Corp.

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BLFGmiii
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 03:08:01 PM »
I know a 168, 4.0 who graduated from an unknown university (with a very low LSAT/GPA average) and couldn't make it into the t14.

I don't believe that. I'm positive that can't be true regarding a traditional student.