Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: China  (Read 2001 times)

Vietnow

• View Profile
China
« on: November 19, 2007, 12:07:23 AM »
I'm currently living and teaching in China. Wondering if anyone else is currently doing this or knows of someone who did this before? If you know someone who did something like this before law school; do you know what effect, if any, this had on their admissions cycle? I can't imagine that it would hurt, only help. But how much?

Just curious.

Eveman in Ingmarland

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: China
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 12:12:02 AM »
Probably helps insofar as you'll have spent some time living abroad in a fairly deprived country that's in the news a lot.

Just out of curiosity, whereabouts are you? I've never done any teaching in China, but I did spend last summer doing field research there last year, so I know my way around a bit.

iLukeisamazing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 12:24:52 AM »
I know a few people who came from China over here. One popped a 180 and is at Columbia. The other guy came over here, got his degree here and is applying this cycle. He's looking at some Tier 3's from what I know.

Vietnow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 12:35:55 AM »
I know a few people who came from China over here. One popped a 180 and is at Columbia. The other guy came over here, got his degree here and is applying this cycle. He's looking at some Tier 3's from what I know.
Let me clarify: I'm an American, graduated from an American university, etc.

Probably helps insofar as you'll have spent some time living abroad in a fairly deprived country that's in the news a lot.

Just out of curiosity, whereabouts are you? I've never done any teaching in China, but I did spend last summer doing field research in China last year, so I know my way around a bit.
I just moved to China a few months ago. I'm currently living in small (ie 500,000 people) city in Shaanxi province, north-central China, maybe 50km from the Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region. Maybe 7-10 hrs (depends) from Xi'an. Which is a pretty cool city. Where were you doing your research? And what was it for?

Eveman in Ingmarland

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 12:40:39 AM »

I just moved to China a few months ago. I'm currently living in small (ie 500,000 people) city in Shaanxi province, north-central China, maybe 50km from the Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region. Maybe 7-10 hrs (depends) from Xi'an. Which is a pretty cool city. Where were you doing your research? And what was it for?

I spent a week or so in Xi'an. Nice place... take a trip down to the bowuguan if you get a chance.

I got a grant from my university to do a survey of nationalist iconography in museum displays, interestingly enough. I was on the road pretty much constantly for four months, and thus went just about everywhere.

studymaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 12:50:33 AM »
I am actually studying chinese language in Xi'an right now, prepping for LSAT and taking it this feb when I fly home for 6 weeks (DYING to go home, love china but not chinese women). That said it is a pretty cool city, great food and such. A significant muslim population adds to the mix.

I actually specifically chose to come china because 1.) it's cheap 2.) I am in no danger of not graduating in 4 years, even if I got no credits from goign abroad, undergrad is cake and 3.) DIVERSITY being about as white lower-middle middle class as it gets I thought it might give me a leg up (or just decrease my comparative disadvantage) to spend a year over here. SO I will eb here til january and then come back for march-July.
It is whispered that soon, if we all heed the call, the piper will lead us to reason.

Vietnow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 01:01:52 AM »
I am actually studying chinese language in Xi'an right now, prepping for LSAT and taking it this feb when I fly home for 6 weeks (DYING to go home, love china but not chinese women). That said it is a pretty cool city, great food and such. A significant muslim population adds to the mix.

I actually specifically chose to come china because 1.) it's cheap 2.) I am in no danger of not graduating in 4 years, even if I got no credits from goign abroad, undergrad is cake and 3.) DIVERSITY being about as white lower-middle middle class as it gets I thought it might give me a leg up (or just decrease my comparative disadvantage) to spend a year over here. SO I will eb here til january and then come back for march-July.

No sh*%. How about that. I'm living in Yulin in the northern part of the province. I've been down to the Muslim quarter in Xian both times I've been there; and so far it has been my favorite part of the city. I was there during Ramadan, which was pretty cool. And how can you not love the Chinese women? Not that I have an Asian fetish or anything but seriously; they're awesome. I doubt you could find more deferential women anywhere in the world haha.

I spent a week or so in Xi'an. Nice place... take a trip down to the bowuguan if you get a chance.

I got a grant from my university to do a survey of nationalist iconography in museum displays, interestingly enough. I was on the road pretty much constantly for four months, and thus went just about everywhere.

The Bowuguan is a really cool museum. I saw it on my first trip to Xian. I was a history major, so Xian was definitely one of the cooler places I've been so far.
Sounds like you had a pretty interesting research topic. I wonder if you got to Yanan? Where the PLA's long march ended. I was just there a couple of weeks ago and I think you'd be hard pressed to find better museums demonstrating nationalist iconography. I even got a picture of me laying in Mao Tse Dong's old bed; priceless.

studymaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 01:07:37 AM »

No sh*%. How about that. I'm living in Yulin in the northern part of the province. I've been down to the Muslim quarter in Xian both times I've been there; and so far it has been my favorite part of the city. I was there during Ramadan, which was pretty cool. And how can you not love the Chinese women? Not that I have an Asian fetish or anything but seriously; they're awesome. I doubt you could find more deferential women anywhere in the world haha.

Well asian women, where do I start. The teeth get me, i cant stadn some of their teeth, but the biggest thign is they are all twigs. I am not a chubby chaser, but my ideal woman is a littl ebigger than any chinese. And to sum up the rest in one word. Bosoms.
It is whispered that soon, if we all heed the call, the piper will lead us to reason.

billymahogany

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 02:05:33 AM »
A good friend of mine lived and taught in South America and Spain before law school.  It had little or no effect on his cycle, but I think you can turn it into a good PS/ it might make up for a sparse resume during undergrad. 
In:  UF, Tulane, FSU($), Miami($$$), Stetson, Oregon($)
Out: Washington and Lee
W/L: Arizona
Decision: UF c/o 2011!

Dilettante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 04:28:49 AM »
I have five friends who've applied to law school after teaching in China, 6 if you count me as one of my friends, which you shouldn't but.. well, anyway.

One went to Yale (but she had a 175 and a 3.98, so..), one went to Columbia, one GW, and one went to GULC. I missed my top choice (UVa) and my other friend whiffed entirely. Looking at everyone's numbers, it seemed we all got in at about the same places we otherwise would have if we had more of a normal post-graduate work experience. So I don't think teaching here would be a big help. But it can be a lot of fun, so, no worries.