Law School Discussion

Santa clara & USF- who considers diversity?

Santa clara & USF- who considers diversity?
« on: September 28, 2004, 12:09:25 PM »
I am a non trad with almost everything non-trad! Really. My undergard in a different country from an univ nationally well known for score deflation. So, a GPA of 3.2 puts me in top 4% at the university! Need to explain this in addendum!Also, have a dean's letter stating stringent scoring process and my position.

Since my undergard 11 yrs back, I have been a sucessful professional, so far,with a Ph.D , several years of professional experience and success as evident from publications etc. My question is, if I am aplying to SCU and USF, which of the schools would give more importance to my diverse work, life experience, if at all? SCU says things about diversity etc in the website and also that their Adcomms (4 profs) read through each appln. Could this be correct ? they get 6000 applns!! USF on the other hand doesn't mention anything in that front. Anybody with any experience?

Lastly, once we are done applying, can we send a letter of interest to a specific school to let them know that if selected shall surely join. Thanks for any help.

Re: Santa clara & USF- who considers diversity?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 05:30:46 PM »
The longer you are away from school, and have a proven track record with a professional career and higher education the less your UGPA counts. The problem is that means there is even more emphasis on your LSAT.

Well I read that don't raise issues in your application/PS that you aren't willing to clarify with an addendum. A half page to explain something is better then leaving it unsaid.

"Diversity" is just a made up concept in order to appease the political correctness crew. Diversity in society is one thing. No way should you expect the population of any graduate school to mirror the population. "Diversity" for admissions is just a percentage point. Once they hit that number, then everything else is just air time.

Good luck.