Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Graduate From T4 with Zero Debt or T2 with Large (100k+) Debt?  (Read 1669 times)

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Graduate From T4 with Zero Debt or T2 with Large (100k+) Debt?
« on: November 16, 2007, 06:22:28 PM »
What do you all think is the best course of action? I don't desire to practice law at a hyper competitive market like NYC, my first choice in fact is North Florida.
2L and counting...

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Graduate From T4 with Zero Debt or T2 with Large (100k+) Debt?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 06:24:54 PM »
I say this. If you know what you want to do, and you are sure you can go it by going to a T4 law school, then do it. But, the problem is that you are pretty much stuck doing whatever that is, so you need to be sure.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 06:58:58 PM »
Thereare only a few schools that will place well in North Florida.  Don't worry about tiers, worry about placement.  Law schools might not be incredibly forthcoming with this info but they have it, and you can make them give it up.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 07:02:12 PM »
Thanks for the input. I went ahead and applied to the T4 in question (Florida Coastal) to lock in the scholarship I was offered. Doubt that I use it, but wanted to have it on the back burner just in case. Its the only sub T2 school that I am going to apply to and I only did so because its in my hometown so I could live with my parents if I went there and graduate with no debt.
2L and counting...

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 02:03:27 AM »
cool

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 09:05:03 AM »
Relying on conditional scholarships scares me in a curve based system.  Cant rely on my own ability to keep the $$$.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 09:31:20 AM »
Try to apply to schools that include unconditional scholarships.

I would say almost always take the T3-4 over T2 with +$100K debt.  Of course, you should evaluate each school side by side when your options are more solidified, but T2 are just regional schools like T3/4.  Some of them have slightly better placement.

What do you want to do with your degree?

Keep in mind that going to the T2 is an extremely risky decision.  It locks you into striving for a large law firm to pay down your debt, while at the same time requires you to be in the top 20% just to have a shot at an interview (which is by no means a guarantee).  Taking the scholarship allows you to pursue whatever career choice you want, while at the same time giving you a chance at a biglaw interview if you're top 10%.

I wish you luck with FSU.  That would be a nice cheap in-state T2.

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 11:01:34 AM »
Yeah thats the thing, I'm not 100% sure what area of law I want to go into. I was never considering it before, but as of late I am leaning towards joining the DOJ as an assistant US attorney, but I want to keep all my options open until I've actually started law school and can further narrow down exactly what I want to do...
2L and counting...

iLukeisamazing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 11:24:49 AM »
Yeah thats the thing, I'm not 100% sure what area of law I want to go into. I was never considering it before, but as of late I am leaning towards joining the DOJ as an assistant US attorney, but I want to keep all my options open until I've actually started law school and can further narrow down exactly what I want to do...

Jalex... apply to Georgia State, I know you'd get in there and can easily acquire GA tuition. That said, I think you'll get in at FSU, and maybe UF.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 11:51:34 AM »
AUSA positions are rarely given to grads without experience.  I'd suggest a shorter-term goal of working in a DA or PD office (if you're thinking of criminal AUSA work).  If your grades are good, clerking for a judge or working in a regional/national office of another component of DOJ would make for a good transition.

Are you mainly trying to stay in the Southeast?  I'd also suggest Mercer as a school.  They have a public service full tuition scholarship that also subsidizes you $6K for each summer spent working for government, public interest, or a judge.  Your LSAT might qualify you for an unconditional scholarship.