Law School Discussion

-

Re: What's the Difference Between T10 Schools?
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 10:21:57 AM »
It just seems like such blatant resume building, with no higher purpose. Jesus, it's a third of your life. Find something related to something you actually care about. If you really want to be a prof, was biglaw necessary?

I guess I can see why you would feel that way. But I don't think it always has to be true. Even if clerking had no effect on ones resume whatsoever, and even if it paid nothing at all, I would want to do it.

The idea of being so close to some of the significant legal issues of our time, and seeing the inner workings of the highest courts in the country, just sends a shiver down my spine. I bet the experience would be unforgettable. But eventually, the clerkship would end, and I would want to find a job that would allow me to pay the bills and the loans. But if I could clerk for say five years instead of one or two, I would do that too.

Dizzle

• AOL Instant Messenger - ahhsprewyou
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 10:26:44 AM »
I just want to be happy...

hmmmz

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 10:56:57 AM »

me too. lets get married?

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »
so where exactly are you getting these percent indicators from?

Thin air ;D

i completely made them up after tequila shots and beer last night...but i think they're probably close to accurate? if we could track down a virginia/michigan 2L they could probably correct them. it's true that you need to be higher in your class the lower ranked your school is, but i admitted i'm just making up rough percentages for the sake of the argument. 

hmmmz

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 12:02:58 PM »
Georgetown has 800+ OCI???? :o :o :o

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 12:06:23 PM »
I'm looking at a list of where Michigan 2L's worked last summer.  Dozens of prestigious firms all over the country.  Doesn't tell me how many went where, unfortunately.   :-\

also that wouldn't tell you if they got jobs through on-campus interviewing or had to paper out 100s of resumes everywhere. i know virginia lets employers prescreen during on-campus interviews which usually isn't great for students. but i think both michigan and virginia grads probably wouldn't have a problem until mayyyyybe bottom 25% (it could be higher or lower, but i know maybe two virginia people who ended up without jobs for next summer who were bottom 25%). and even then, you could probably still get a job, it just might not be in your preferred geographical area or for a vault firm.

Dizzle

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 12:21:07 PM »

me too. lets get married?

Dizzle can only marry a woman. Hmmmz is probabley a man. If the above information is correct, what must be true?

(C) Dizzle can't marry Hmmmz. (CR)

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007, 01:50:18 PM »
I think that other than HYS, which are pretty much in their own league, the difference between all the other schools is not that strong. Sure, the general concesus amongst posters is that T6 schools are more prestigious, but I don't know how to quantify that prestige bump. Personally, I think it's a smart idea to go to a lower T14 school with a big scholarship rather than a slightly higher one with no money (unless you're talking about HYS).

hmmmz

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2007, 02:12:18 PM »
Take my grandmother. The only law schools that she even remotely recognizes are Harvard and Stanford. That says ALOT, I think.

Dizzle

• View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2007, 02:31:02 PM »

Dizzle can only marry a woman. Hmmmz is probabley a man. If the above information is correct, what must be true?

(C) Dizzle can't probably can't marry Hmmmz. (CR)

fixt.

Touche.

;)