Law School Discussion

-

Peanut_Butter_Jelly_Time

• Is It Already Peanut Butter and Jelly Time?
    • View Profile
-
« on: November 15, 2007, 09:01:47 PM »
-

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What's the Difference Between T10 Schools?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 09:15:04 PM »
generally the t10 are broken into three groups...harvard/yale/stanford are equal, columbia/nyu/chicago are equal, virginia/penn/michigan/other random t14ers are equal: in terms of big law, pretty much everyone at H/Y/S will get it if they want, most people at columbia/chicago/nyu will get it (i don't know anyone at chicago, even in the bottom of the class, who didn't get any biglaw offers for next summer), and maybe top 50%-75% at virginia/michigan/where ever else get it. i made up that last figure but if you troll law message boards, you'll hear of people in the bottom 25% at the latter schools who didn't get a job.

that being said, i think any t10 school will give you a shot at a biglaw job if you're realistic about your chances. if you're in the bottom 10% at anything other than H/Y/S, you can probably still get biglaw but you might have to go to a lower ranked vault NYC firm.

all of this, i think generally holds true for clerks as well although that's even more competitive. to clerk, you're going to have to be even higher in your class no matter which school....and i think the clerking rates are yale/stanford/chicago proportionately?

anyway, any t14 will give you good employment prospects.

hmmmz

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 09:56:12 PM »
what about mobility? except the top 5, I still don't see how a degree from Berkley, Cornell, Northwestern or Michigan would be more mobile than say Notre Dame.

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 10:13:33 PM »
what about mobility? except the top 5, I still don't see how a degree from Berkley, Cornell, Northwestern or Michigan would be more mobile than say Notre Dame.

haha, oh yeah?

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 12:56:13 AM »

t14 degrees are more mobile simply because of reputation concerns in the u.s. news rankings (and in basically all other rankings systems; law school confidential has a good cumulative rankings system that groups the schools pretty much as i have in my first post). if you went to a t14 school, you could probably get a biglaw job from top 50% for sure and maybe top 60-70%. if you went to, say, notre dame, you would probably have to be in the top 20-30% to have that degree mobility. the problem is that people  tend to assume they will be i the top of the class (i know i did) and they won't be. so, in general, it's easier to go to a school that will provide you biglaw jobs regardless of your class rank becuase it's extremely difficult to estimate your future class percentile.

so in sum, it's riskier to go to a lower ranked school if you have the choise of a significantly higher ranked school (we're talking notre dame vs. columbia/chicago/nyu; if i got a full-ride to notre dame vs. full-tuition at virginia/michigan/penn it woulkd be a tougher choice). i actually applied and got into notre dame but i ended up at pretty much the best school i got into regardless of debt just because the career prospects were much stronger.

hmmmz

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 01:15:06 AM »
so where exactly are you getting these percent indicators from?

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 08:11:00 AM »
Answer: BigLaw/clerking and overall portability. Divisions are supposed to be HYS / CCN / MVBP (/ DGCN).

That said, I realized three weeks ago that I hate people who want to clerk and do biglaw. Really. Loathe. Almost as much as I loathe the people who "want to go into policy."

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 08:48:16 AM »
That said, I realized three weeks ago that I hate people who want to clerk and do biglaw. Really. Loathe. Almost as much as I loathe the people who "want to go into policy."

You're whittling away the options...

What do YOU want to do?   :)

Fight power, yo. Also have a good time and watch as much reality television as I can. Pay back my loans, probably.

And I don't have as much of a problem with people who want to clerk, or with people who want to do biglaw. It's the combo that makes me irritated, because they really don't have anything to do with each other, except for money. Which, like, gross. Have something bigger in mind, man. Anything.

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 08:58:12 AM »
It just seems like such blatant resume building, with no higher purpose. Jesus, it's a third of your life. Find something related to something you actually care about. If you really want to be a prof, was biglaw necessary?

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 09:01:14 AM »
I know quite a bunch of people who did biglaw (or worked at law firm) before taking up teaching. seems like a little difficult for them to go into teaching immediately, no?