Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CLEO 2008 Summer Institute  (Read 32623 times)

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: CLEO 2008 Summer Institute
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2007, 06:53:08 PM »
ok, cool. I'm still thinking about it. I don't think it will help with Cornell, and Vandy is a good school for me. 2,000  is a lot of money.

Yes, it is alot of money... but for me, it is so worth it if I can get into GSU or even Mercer. I guess it depends on your situation...I know I need as many things going for me as possible, so I am ecstatic about it!

Why don't you think the CLEO acceptance will help you get into Cornell?? 

ETA: I just looked at your LSN. Congrats on all the acceptances! You are looking pretty good so far. I can see why you're on the fence about CLEO, you've already gotten into some good schools! Keep us posted on whatever you decide!
Here we go again!
Yes:
No: Jones
WL: Mercer
Pending: GSU,UGA,Bama,Samford

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2007, 08:29:54 PM »
Maybe it will help with Cornell though...I would contact them and just see.

Future-Haitian-Lawyer

• Le Drapeau Haitien
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2007, 10:44:25 PM »
I just cannot believe it since they still don't send me an acceptance letter yet or give me a call to tell me whether I am admitted.  I applied very early...I guess by January I will know whether I will get in or not.

Nonetheless, the fact that I am already admitted to Indiana University School of Law - Indianapolis, I am not certain whether I want to participate to the NATIONAL CLEO right now, even though Rutgers Newark is waiting on my admission with them to decide whether to give me a chance since I want to go to Rutgers instead.

(By not parcipating to the National CLEO program, but I will participate to the INDIANA CLEO PROGRAM, and my class will start on July 15, 2008. It will be difficult for me to parcipate to the NATIONAL CLEO PROGRAM)
For those who might be interested or just want to know, please check this link
http://indylaw.indiana.edu/admissions/profiles.htm

You know what? I have been residing in New Jersey for 11 years since I came to America...I guess that I am ready to explore other states...Somehow, I would like to give Indiana a try.

For those with SOLID LSAT, I can see why going to the NATIONAL CLEO can be debatable for you. Nevertheless, be aware that they are others out there, who don't have any stellar score. Thus the NATIONAL CLEO give them a chance to go to a dream school.

Please check the link to see the member schools
http://www.cleoscholars.com/all_about_cleo/memberschools.htm

Since a lot of you are not certain, which schools that NATIONAL CLEO work with...IT DOES NOT MATTER WHETHER IT IS IVY OR NOT, CHECK TO SEE THE LIST...They work with HARVARD, YALE, AND SO FOUTH...

Of course, as a previous author mentions, if you score 148, don't even think that they will put you at HARVARD...LOL...but if you're in the border line, yes, you have a higher probability to get in...

In short, even though I might not go right now, but I still think that the NATIONAL CLEO is a very great program in helping a lot of us to accomplish our dream. 

By dream, I mean it can be your dream school, it does not mean that you would not go to law school...However, for a few others out there, if it was not for the NATIONAL CLEO, they will never go to any law school, and for another group like me, CLEO give us a chance to attend a TIER 2 SCHOOL (otherwise, we will have to settle for lower a TIER), Perhaps, for you, it could be the top tier or top 10...for another, they just want to attend any tier 3.... as stated previously, they 're those out there, any schools in the tier 4 is fine with them...they just want to be an attorney, and they will be a great and fine one (CLEO facilitate this opportunity)....for whatever reasons you might apply to the NATIONAL CLEO...the NETWORKING over there is fabulous, and can open great doors for you later on....please, don't just dismiss it like that...research about the NATIONAL CLEO, and understand it...then decide about your final decision....to understand the purpose of NATIONAL CLEO, you need to understand its history. 

One more thing...your $2,000 are not sufficient for the program, it is already subsidized by members schools...how about the stipends you might receive later on...scholarship money...jobs also...let me give someone else a chance to add their input...)
IN-: Indiana University-Indianapolis, Thomas M. Cooley
DEFFERED-: University of Tulsa,
OUT-: University of Akron, Drexel, University of Arkansas-Fayette...,U baltimore.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=haitian

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2007, 12:17:43 AM »
First, there is a difference between a Cleo Member school, Supporting School, and Sustaining school, so you might want to look that up.
Second, the scholarship money can be received without going to CLEO
Third, There are cheaper ways to network for jobs
Fourth, I never said anything was wrong with CLEO, I am only talking about MY situation. If this program can't help me get into Cornell, then even it was free I wouldn't go. I'm not saying the program won't try, but if something else is wrong with my application, then there is nothing CLEO can do.

Future-Haitian-Lawyer

• Le Drapeau Haitien
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2007, 12:29:13 AM »
First, there is a difference between a Cleo Member school, Supporting School, and Sustaining school, so you might want to look that up.
Fourth, I never said anything was wrong with CLEO, I am only talking about MY situation. If this program can't help me get into Cornell, then even it was free I wouldn't go. I'm not saying the program won't try, but if something else is wrong with my application, then there is nothing CLEO can do.

Yeah I know the difference since I already made my research, I did not want to go into details about it. Additionally, my email was not targeted toward you per se. I just want to put it into perspective, and hopefully someone who might know more than I, can add more...

Moreover, any additional way to network with others definitely help...any additional scholarship does not hurt also...I guess that anything extra (which is positive) does not hurt...

I hope those who do not know (much) about CLEO learn from this tread...
OUT-: University of Akron, Drexel, University of Arkansas-Fayette...,U baltimore.

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2007, 11:59:24 AM »
Haitian Lawyer, thats great that you got into U of Indiana-Indianapolis.  I applied there about a month ago and am really hoping to get admitted also.  CLEO helped get me into U of Denver last year which is a much respected program.  U of Arizona also requested my CLEO files after putting me on the waitlist.  Had I participated in this program, I think U of A might have let me in...

latinaattorney

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2007, 02:14:18 PM »
ok, so I just read the threads about the CLEO program. I think if accepted to the CLEO program once should do it. It will give sharpen the skills needed when facing the many challenges as a 1L. I was accepted to the CLEO program a couple of weeks ago via phone and I intend to do the program. I have been accepted to the Univ of Illinois (1 tier) and am waiting for Northwesterns decision. I have also been accepted to second tier, third tier and fourth tier schools. I don't think CLEO had anything to do with it since I found out about my acceptances before they knew I was admitted to the CLEO program. So although it is much money I do think it's a great opp to use this program to meet others in similar situations and use it as a way to network in the future. Yes, there are other cheaper ways of doing this, however, this program is well respected by many.

curios1985

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2007, 04:03:38 AM »

Hi would anyone mind explaining the difference between member schools, supporting schools, and sustaining schools? Or could someone tell me where I can find that info? I could not find it on their website...thanks. :)

ohstacey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2007, 03:39:23 PM »
I found some additional info on CLEO here, though I don't know how up to date it is...

http://www.napla.org/Notes11-99.htm#cleo

I saw that people had questions about admissions criteria for CLEO. Here is a direct quote from the website:

"Although CLEO is extremely liberal with respect to academic eligibility, it is unlikely that a student with a LSAT score and GPA below 140 and 2.5 would be selected without a strong recommendation from a CLEO MSSI"(Member Schools and Supporting Institutions).
Here we go again!
Yes:
No: Jones
WL: Mercer
Pending: GSU,UGA,Bama,Samford

Future-Haitian-Lawyer

• Le Drapeau Haitien
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2007, 07:32:44 PM »
Please view this link for further info about CLEO also.

http://www.deloggio.com/diversty/cleo.htm

I hope that it helps.
Happy Holiday