Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CLEO 2008 Summer Institute  (Read 33546 times)

Re: CLEO 2008 Summer Institute
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2008, 04:37:06 PM »
Definately the network...tons of people from all over...

latinaattorney

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2008, 04:54:19 PM »
I had originally asked them to place me in Denver- bc it seemed it would work better for me. Fortunately, they granted it and placed me there. I too, can't wait to have a look at the curriculum. I have to start booking my airfare- but the Denver program starts one week after San Diego and finishes one week after San Diego.

Principled.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fundamentals, period.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2008, 09:15:11 PM »
I'm not sure if anyone in this thread has facebook and applied to CLEO summer institute, but if so, did you all receive a facebook invite to attend CLEO Connection? I rarely sign onto facebook, but have recently and just noticed the invite. I haven't been accepted to attend summer institute yet, but thought it kinda groovy that they have reached out to give me the opportunity to meet some folks in their network. :-)
"(s)he's arguing...(s)he's making an argument."

"...I'm so ready to promise my all & I'm so ready to give 'til the day that my life is no more... I'll be everything that this woman could possibly be...cause I'm ready to be like the olden days when commitment was golden" ~Chrisette Michele

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2008, 11:48:31 PM »
I never received anything from CLEO, but my facebook profile is hidden

Quetzal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2008, 01:00:52 AM »
Neither did I.. but I just joined the group "Council on Legal Education Opportunity," which is different from the one you got invited to (I had to search it, and dang there are a lot of cleo (non)related groups out there!)

By the way, I heard 800 people applied for early acceptance. WOW!

Principled.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fundamentals, period.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 08, 2008, 09:42:45 AM »
...though, I don't think it was a group invite It was an event invite (I think hosted by CLEO). And I think it came from the profile Cleo Scholar or Cleo Scholars (I'm not certain because I can't access fbook from the office. I'll try to remember to verify this info later tonight).
"(s)he's arguing...(s)he's making an argument."

"...I'm so ready to promise my all & I'm so ready to give 'til the day that my life is no more... I'll be everything that this woman could possibly be...cause I'm ready to be like the olden days when commitment was golden" ~Chrisette Michele

tweety63

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2008, 04:10:22 PM »
Wait wait wait lets keep on talking about the important stuff, scholarships.  Now CLEO got some jumbled up phrasing about financial help it basically only says :
"in addition, financial assistance to help with the cost of law school of up to five thousand dollars ($5,000.00) may be provided to the CLEO/Thurgood Marshall Fellows. The funds are provided for two (2) years (second and third) of law school study or a maximum of 4 semesters, only if satisfactory academic performance toward the Juris Doctor degree is maintained."
And someone from lawschool numbers was like ohhhh go cuz they give you 15,000 for three years.  I just wanna know what the heck are my chances of getting that scholarship.  (Sorry I know almost noone can answer this but I gotta let out steam some way)

4RE

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2008, 08:27:41 PM »
Just got my acceptance this weekend!   ;D

They want a $200 deposit by the 20th.  That's less than 2 weeks notice  :-\

Can I have a few questions answered by CLEO alumni or anyone that is knowledgeable?

1. How do you think CLEO helped you perform in law school?
2. I know schools grant conditional acceptances based upon the completion of CLEO.  How do I find out?  Call up and ask the specific school?  Anyone from Vanderbilt, specifically, had this done?
3. Any impressions about the experience?  How has the network of CLEO helped you procure a job?

Thanks!

Quetzal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2008, 02:01:05 AM »
Tweety-- I think they base the scholarships on how much the school is, and if the student is financially disadvantaged.. which sort of sucks for me right now, that I work full time, but since I'll be quitting right before CLEO, I'll hopefully be sufficiently 'needy.'

Maybe they give scholarships to those who do pretty well during the 6week? Can anyone answer how these things work??

By the way, I've met 2 people in the last month who know about CLEO; one attended (he's the city's public defender), and the other one got in but didn't go (he decided not to go to law school.. he's now a congressman).

tweety63

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2008, 02:21:09 AM »
yeah now im working full time as well (this really sucks)cuz i dont qualify for all those need based scholarships which makes u wonder if anyone should ever take a year off and work like all those advisers tell u to.  Let see scholarships that would really help if ur poor:
-ABA
-new york regents scholarship
-that 10,000 a year for minority students scholarship
and any dang need based grants the law schools could offer not to mention fee waivers.
man this sucks.