Law School Discussion

logic games bible

logic games bible
« on: March 16, 2004, 05:00:09 PM »
can ANYONE tell me if this book is worth it and also if they have one they would like to sell? thanks

apartment

Re: logic games bible
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 06:16:59 PM »
I had the book (and sold it on amazon after the exam).  It's pretty useful for practice.  Logic Games was my weakest section by far so even though my main strategy was just taking full practic tests, I think reading the first couple of sections in this book helped me.  A lot of it is makeshift notation, but for anyone who has not had formal logic training it can be pretty insightful.  You have to get past some of the stupid terminology ("hurdle the uncertainty" is the TRADEMARKED phrase they use for "just take a guess") but it's much better than the Kaplan books my friend loaned me. (Those are garbage.)

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 06:50:43 AM »
If you search in here and elsewhere you will quickly find out that this book is reecognized as THE book when it comes to the games section.  As for getting one, I ended up just buying it new online.  The major bookstores can order it but it isn't really cheaper and takes several weeks to get.  eBay prices are only a few dollars under the retail price.  Someone on their sells them regularly (the publisher?) but again, the price is right around the purchase price online.

nathanielmark

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 06:58:39 AM »
This book was a huge help to me.  I agree with random poster, the terminology is pretty silly.

Its a huge help though, dont think it is a quick fix however, make sure you work thru the book a couple times and practice practice practice. 

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 12:23:49 PM »
I think the price on ebay is the cheapest you'll find for it, though, unless you can find someone who has used it and will sell it to you for less than $30 (which is doubtful).

It seems like this book is most helpful for those who are pretty bad with Games instead of those who are getting, maybe, 3/4 Games done in the time and do basically understand the logic and diagrams but are just slow...? In which case, practicing on real Games from past LSAT's seems the best thing to do. But it sounds like, if you need help with logic and diagramming, this is the book to get.

Personally, after taking Kaplan and studying the Games section of Nova's "Master the LSAT" (which gave even more helpful info than my Kaplan course did), I was good to go with Games and decided I didn't need to shell out $30-$45 for the LG Bible like I initially thought I might have to do when I read the reviews on amazon...so before spending all that money on the LG Bible, see if something cheaper might help you out first. I bought Nova's book on half.com for about $11 when it actually costs $30. It helped me with logic and diagrams VERY much, but I can't compare it to the LG Bible since I never used it...they are probably both great.

dta

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 01:18:58 PM »
We're going to spend tens of thousands of dollars for law school and come out tens of thousands of dollars in debt. I find it just a bit humorous that one would go to extraordinary lengths to save $10-$15 on a prep book for the LSAT considering the enormous avalanche of debt that is awaiting all of us.

Skimp on food. Skimp on entertainment. Skimp on clothing. But by deciding to go to law school in the first place you're basically deciding not to skimp on your education. Don't worry about searching high or low to find the best deal for the book. Just go to your local bookstore and shell out the extra $10-$15 to buy it new - it's a good book. June will be here faster than you know it. Start studying now.

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 07:14:29 PM »
thanks for the great input everyone. dta I am beginning to think you are right I just wanted to make sure its as good as everyone says.

Anti_Ivy

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 07:44:36 PM »
We're going to spend tens of thousands of dollars for law school and come out tens of thousands of dollars in debt. I find it just a bit humorous that one would go to extraordinary lengths to save $10-$15 on a prep book for the LSAT considering the enormous avalanche of debt that is awaiting all of us.

Skimp on food. Skimp on entertainment. Skimp on clothing. But by deciding to go to law school in the first place you're basically deciding not to skimp on your education. Don't worry about searching high or low to find the best deal for the book. Just go to your local bookstore and shell out the extra $10-$15 to buy it new - it's a good book. June will be here faster than you know it. Start studying now.

I understand your point, dta, but I think I should point something out that you may not have considered:  If I save $10-$15 on a prep book, I have an extra $10-$15 to save toward buying another prep book.  If I save money on the books, I will save time.  After all, if I only have enough money for two books, I must research all of the books out there to see books are the best.  I find it easier to buy a few books on sale, study them, and re-sale the one(s) that doesn't work for me.  I have even turned a profit on a PR book that I found useless.

I am not arguing with you, dta.  I am just saying that if I skimp on LSAT prep books, I can save money for more important things (like bills).

I think a few other people may have the same idea as I do, or, at least, may understand where I'm coming from.

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2004, 04:43:30 PM »
just buy the book, your law school education is priceless anyway :P