Law School Discussion

-

Peanut_Butter_Jelly_Time

• Is It Already Peanut Butter and Jelly Time?
    • View Profile
-
« on: November 15, 2007, 05:34:47 AM »
-

vap

• Attorney
    • View Profile
Re: Does Anyone Really Like Law School?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 05:50:21 AM »
I dislike law school for the most part.

But I like researching issues for my volunteer work with a public defender office.

It's a lot more fun to research specific issues than to read case books and make outlines.

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 06:16:44 AM »
<---likes law school. 

gclemen1

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 07:11:46 AM »
Law school is just a process to weed out the undedicated!!

vap

• Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 07:19:11 AM »
It's very, very possible to like practicing law but to dislike law school (and vice versa).

They are unique enterprises.  This is why so many people complain "law school did not prepare me for the practice of law."

Roy Lichtenstein

• I Can See the Whole Room . . . , 1961
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 08:57:17 AM »
Most of my friends in law school really like it.  What people probably don't like is the really stressful times, ie prepping for exams.  And most people have told me that they contemplated quitting numerous times during their 1L year (most likely due to stress) but that it gets much better once you have that behind you.  Makes sense to me.

Law school doesn't really teach you how to practice law, it teaches you how to think like a lawyer.  And I think it gives you the skills that you need to be successful as a lawyer.  I am sure once most people feel like they can do just about anything once they complete their 1L year!

Roy Lichtenstein

• I Can See the Whole Room . . . , 1961
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 09:55:51 AM »
It's very, very possible to like practicing law but to dislike law school (and vice versa).

They are unique enterprises.  This is why so many people complain "law school did not prepare me for the practice of law."

Bingo, and also why so many people find out they don't like the "law", they never took the time to really find out what lawyers do everyday, and when they do its often not what they expected. Pre-law people seem to focus allmost exclusily on salery figures and school ranking, not giving much thought to what people in the profession really do. Its almost an afterthought, I'll make a good lawyer even if I have no idea at this point what that means. I have a love/hate realtionship with law school, I love the more practical side, the interships, the clinics, I dislike the theroy side, I hate that is gives you a false sense of security, as if good grades mean you will be a good lawyer when one has nothing to do with the other. I dislike that law school has evolved so slowly and that it is loath to new ideas in teaching/learning. I love learning my specfific practice area, I hate having to take classes that intrest me 0. But I still get up every moring glad I'm here, not becuase I like law school, but becuase I know this is a hoop I have to jump through to be what I really want to be, a lawyer.

Yup, we've all got to pay our dues. 

In addition, most junior associates don't like their job, but they know they have to struggle through those first couple years in order start doing the more interesting lawyer-ly work.

vap

• Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 10:55:38 AM »
What people probably don't like is the really stressful times, ie prepping for exams.

True as well, which is why the timing of this thread is great!

Americanlaw10

• American WCL '10
    • AOL Instant Messenger - UKSoccer525
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - UKSoccer525
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 12:28:44 PM »
This is depressing.  On the other hand, my friends are pursuing their Masters right now in Speech Pathology, Psychology, Audiology, etc and they're not exactly loving their classes. Is it just the shock experienced coming from undergrad?

Depressing.

How many people enjoy SCHOOL in general.  Make no mistake about it, Law School is still SCHOOL!  You go there to learn and regurgitate what you've learned into one exam.  Is that practical? - No.  Is that the way it is? - Yes.  I for one DO enjoy lecture most of the time.  I have great professors and that has a lot to do with it.  I hate legal rhetoric with a passion - but who doesn't. 

Finals are going to suck a big one...but guess what --- finals in UG sucked too.  Not the best analogy, but still relevant nonetheless. 

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 12:51:10 PM »
Law school is rainbows and kittens and orange-flavored suckers! (Orange is my favorite)

That's what its like at your t14 school

stop it with the georgetown trolling.