Law School Discussion

TTT

ilsox7

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: TTT
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2007, 03:14:55 PM »
I'm not in law school - still working on that part!  Suffolk has a 1-yr clinical program in immigration that really interests me.

Nice.  The clinics seem to be good ways to meet people and get your name out there.  I didn't do one, but that's mostly b/c I tend to do things differently than most folks.  :)

I really hope I get into NU because they have the co-op program, which I would be sure to always choose immigration co-ops.  (or at least for 2/4!), but Suffolk's one year clinical program is a good alternative for me. 
http://www.law.suffolk.edu/academic/clinical/immigration.cfm

Looks interesting.  And my guess is that most firms that practice immigration law are smaller firms.  It's probably a smaller legal community where people know each other and that is how you crack the market.  So, just keep that in mind.  Be proactive about getting your name out there and meeting people. 

ilsox7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2007, 03:39:01 PM »
I'm not in law school - still working on that part!  Suffolk has a 1-yr clinical program in immigration that really interests me.

Nice.  The clinics seem to be good ways to meet people and get your name out there.  I didn't do one, but that's mostly b/c I tend to do things differently than most folks.  :)

I really hope I get into NU because they have the co-op program, which I would be sure to always choose immigration co-ops.  (or at least for 2/4!), but Suffolk's one year clinical program is a good alternative for me. 
http://www.law.suffolk.edu/academic/clinical/immigration.cfm

Looks interesting.  And my guess is that most firms that practice immigration law are smaller firms.  It's probably a smaller legal community where people know each other and that is how you crack the market.  So, just keep that in mind.  Be proactive about getting your name out there and meeting people. 

I guess I should start by introducing myself to some of the attorneys in the immigration dept of the firm I work in...

That'd be a great start!  Ask for their advice.  People like to talk about themselves.  You never know where it can lead!

hmmmz

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2007, 05:37:14 PM »
thats nice. looks like about 80% of people who post here will NOT be working in Biglaw. reality, welcome to it.

ilsox7

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2007, 06:00:56 PM »
thats nice. looks like about 80% of people who post here will NOT be working in Biglaw. reality, welcome to it.

LSD generally does not function in reality, so there is nothing new there.  However, there are more people here than average that will be at a top 10 or 15 school and going to a big firm.  Where reality will really set in is once they start working full time and realize what an 80 hour week of work actually entails. 

hmmmz

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2007, 06:19:44 PM »
point taken, I concede.