Law School Discussion

TTT

Re: TTT
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 08:42:28 AM »
I've found that most students who bash the "second tier" programs and below are those who have to depend upon their law school's good name to land a decent job. In the real world, I don't think it's a stretch to believe that good networking skills and basic understanding of how to make people like you will help you land a fulfilling piece of work.

I love you

he/she's too young for you.

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 09:29:07 AM »
I've found that most students who bash the "second tier" programs and below are those who have to depend upon their law school's good name to land a decent job. In the real world, I don't think it's a stretch to believe that good networking skills and basic understanding of how to make people like you will help you land a fulfilling piece of work.

I love you

he/she's too young for you.

sigh, everyones to young for me now

not true.

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 10:17:09 AM »
I wouldn't go to law school if I couldn't get into a law school in the top 100.  This mindset seems to be a result of hanging around LSD too long, though.  There are way too many law schools and the arbitrary line has to be drawn somewhere, I suppose.  I choose to draw that line after the top 100.

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 04:54:01 PM »
I draw the line at 185

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 06:42:09 PM »

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 08:29:03 PM »
the last 10 schools are sub-standard

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 04:16:16 PM »
I wouldn't go to law school if I couldn't get into a law school in the top 100.  This mindset seems to be a result of hanging around LSD too long, though.  There are way too many law schools and the arbitrary line has to be drawn somewhere, I suppose.  I choose to draw that line after the top 100.

I wouldn't set a number.  Suffolk in Boston is very highly regarded regionally - and it was just recently put in the 4th tier.  This makes no sense to me personally... also you have to know a lot of the T3/T4 schools are the only schools some states have - Vermont - Franklin Pierce, Univ. of Maine.  If you go to those schools for whatever reason and you live in the states they are in and build a career it's ABSOLUTELY worth it.

Very true.  It just happened that the lowest ranked school I applied to is ranked 100 (Stetson).

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 05:46:50 PM »
In practical terms, with a few limited exceptions, the difference between job prospects between tier 2 / 3 / 4 schools is pretty marginal at best. I'd even throw a bunch of tier 1 schools into the group as well. The main common thread is that a majority of students, except those who are at the top of their class or who are especially adept at networking / hustling for a job will graduate without one and will probably not find anything until a few months after the bar passage results come in.

The rankings don't mean that much beyond the top two dozen schools or so, despite what the rabid pre-law rankings fans on here say.

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 06:02:51 PM »
Sure, but it can only help so much. All the upperclassmen at my 1L school (I transferred) had great things to say about the school's school year externships and the clinics. Clinic spots tend to be limited so not everyone gets one though...some schools limit externships though, however at my 1L school ANYONE could sign up for an externship with minimal hassle after completing 2 semesters.

However, getting summer work experience isn't going to help that much because virtually every other law student does it. Clinics/externships may or may not be more unique depending on the school but they aren't going to magically land you a job.

The problem is that the job market for law graduates sucks. There isn't any other simple way to put it. My advice to everyone not lucky enough to attend a top 25 or so school is to minimize their debt as much as possible. Go where you can get in-state tuition or an UNCONDITIONAL scholarship. If you can't do that, establish residency for in-state purposes before going or don't go to law school at all.

do you think work experience and clinical experience in law school helps your job prospects?

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 06:46:02 PM »
In practical terms, with a few limited exceptions, the difference between job prospects between tier 2 / 3 / 4 schools is pretty marginal at best. I'd even throw a bunch of tier 1 schools into the group as well. The main common thread is that a majority of students, except those who are at the top of their class or who are especially adept at networking / hustling for a job will graduate without one and will probably not find anything until a few months after the bar passage results come in.

The rankings don't mean that much beyond the top two dozen schools or so, despite what the rabid pre-law rankings fans on here say.

do you think work experience and clinical experience in law school helps your job prospects?

YES!  Because law firms don't want to have to train you.  That's why clinical experience is important, but summer jobs are even more important.