Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: American WCL 1L Taking Questions  (Read 10431 times)

remiz22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: American WCL 1L Taking Questions
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2007, 11:20:07 AM »
where it is the arguably the 7th best regional school (behind GTown, GW, GMU, Maryland, UVA, William and Mary).

First, I don't agree with you.  I'd say we're behind GULC and GW - and on par with the rest.  Like I said, anything 25-50 is really just a matter of location and your class rank.  A low percentage of WCL grads will get BIGLAW, just like a low percentage at UMD, GMU, UVA, W&M). 

Second, I've found the facilities to be more than adequate.  I'm not sure where you get this notion of it being too small for the student population.  500 students in a 6 story building seems pretty adequate.  In fact, that is the first time I've ever heard that argument.

Fact of the matter is, I'm happy with my law school.  I see absolutely no reason to justify my reasoning to you guys.  As I stated above, this was intended to be for applicants and/or those who are considering WCL. 

It's a stretch to compare AU to William and Mary, but it is patently absurd to compare AU to Virginia. You do realize Virginia is a top 10 school and has one of the best BigLaw placement rates?

nicole1220

• Sr. Citizen
  • I feel like that Chihuahua.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2007, 11:47:27 AM »
I am a senior at American right now. Though the idea of staying at the same schools make me feel slightly boring, WCL really suits my interest in public international law. I had a scholarship for undergrad, but the WCL pricetag frightens me immensely. I can attest to the fact that living in NW DC is extremely expensive!

Do you think that it is worth investing that kind of money when I will be making so little when I graduate? Realistically, what sort of scholarships do they give. Thanks so much!

FYI- I have a 166 LSAT and 3.8 GPA.
GW '11?

PIL

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2007, 12:28:19 PM »

Do you think that it is worth investing that kind of money when I will be making so little when I graduate? Realistically, what sort of scholarships do they give. Thanks so much!

FYI- I have a 166 LSAT and 3.8 GPA.

Nicole, do you A) have a demonstrable background in public interest or public service wok, or B) aspire to such a career?  If so (and perhaps even if not), you should apply for the PI/PS (Public Interest / Public Service) Scholarship at WCL.  The school offers 10-11 such scholarships annually, which provide full tuition for all three years, as well as close mentorship by a faculty member, and something of a public interest community.  Although the stated criteria are a strong background in/commitment to public service, my sense is that they use the scholarship to attract students with high LSATs and GPAs (like yourself) and a *commitment* to public service will suffice (several of the scholars last year had LSATs in the 166-169 range).

See also NYU's Institute of International Law & Justice (IILJ) Junior Fellowship -- it is another full tuition fellowship for those pursuing careers in public international law, and is primarily geared toward academia. 

If you're at AU and interested in public international law, you should certainly make your way over to WCL and talk to Paul Williams about working with the Public International Law and Policy Group (www.pilpg.org).

Good luck!

nicole1220

• Sr. Citizen
  • I feel like that Chihuahua.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2007, 12:34:23 PM »
Wow- thanks for the detailed response!

I have looked into the PIPS scholarhip but since they give so few, I was thinking I probably wasn't all that competitive. I have a lot of community service/public interest experience for an undergrad (extensive volunteering in DC schools, non-profit internships, volunteered at an orphanage in Africa for a semester), but I haven't worked full-time in the field, so I assumed I wasn't qualified.

Do you know where I can find more information about the background of former PIPS scholars? Googling hasn't yielded much. Thanks a lot!!
GW '11?

hmmmz

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2007, 12:42:58 PM »
I think the best thing to do for those like me who don't want any debt after LS is to make sure you have thoroughly prepared for the LSAT and get a score than will put you well above a schools 75th percentile and hopefully they will give you a full ride or close to. You just need to accept the fact that right out of law school your job opportunities will mostly be limited to whatever state your law school is in, perhaps regional (T10 excluded). so make sure you attend law school in a city/state you are willing to live in. In my case almost any place north of Arizona fits that bill. ;D

PIL

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2007, 12:59:20 PM »
Wow- thanks for the detailed response!

I have looked into the PIPS scholarhip but since they give so few, I was thinking I probably wasn't all that competitive. I have a lot of community service/public interest experience for an undergrad (extensive volunteering in DC schools, non-profit internships, volunteered at an orphanage in Africa for a semester), but I haven't worked full-time in the field, so I assumed I wasn't qualified.

Do you know where I can find more information about the background of former PIPS scholars? Googling hasn't yielded much. Thanks a lot!!

To get a sense of the credentials/accomplishments of PIPS scholars, I would contact the director of the Public Interest office (her contact information is on the WCL site), let her know you are interested in the program (and bear in mind that she is the principal gatekeeper for this program), and ask if you can meet a current scholar or two.  If you contact her now, acknowledge that you don't want to meet with anyone until January, as law students are in high gear preparing for exams.

I think your background and hard numbers are extremely competitive for the program.  You obviously won't have full-time PI experience because you haven't yet graduated from college, but your part-time endeavors establish the right trajectory.  Sadly (although good for you!) I think the hard numbers will carry the day here, as the school, like every school, is very conscious of its medians.  Rather than give out full rides to the 10 highest LSATs (like many schools), WCL, in keeping with its mission, created the PIPS program (10-11 scholarships is a lot, by the way).  Because this is more or less the ONLY $$$ WCL hands out, it sometimes does double duty, serving as a tool to recruit students with higher-than-median numbers.

There is no cost in applying (other than the time required by the PIPS application), as you will know about the scholarship before the seat deadlines at other schools.

Americanlaw10

• American WCL '10
    • AOL Instant Messenger - UKSoccer525
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - UKSoccer525
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2007, 02:47:32 PM »
where it is the arguably the 7th best regional school (behind GTown, GW, GMU, Maryland, UVA, William and Mary).

First, I don't agree with you.  I'd say we're behind GULC and GW - and on par with the rest.  Like I said, anything 25-50 is really just a matter of location and your class rank.  A low percentage of WCL grads will get BIGLAW, just like a low percentage at UMD, GMU, UVA, W&M). 

Second, I've found the facilities to be more than adequate.  I'm not sure where you get this notion of it being too small for the student population.  500 students in a 6 story building seems pretty adequate.  In fact, that is the first time I've ever heard that argument.

Fact of the matter is, I'm happy with my law school.  I see absolutely no reason to justify my reasoning to you guys.  As I stated above, this was intended to be for applicants and/or those who are considering WCL. 

It's a stretch to compare AU to William and Mary, but it is patently absurd to compare AU to Virginia. You do realize Virginia is a top 10 school and has one of the best BigLaw placement rates?

Yep, you're right.  Didn't think before I typed.  WCL is behing GW, GULC and UVA.  But I'll stand to it that the rest in that list are very much on par with WCL
Winner Chicken Dinner (Attending): American WCL!!!

Friday Night Drinking Club!!

hmmmz

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2007, 04:16:51 PM »
Americanlaw10, just ignore them.

You started a thread about your law school

such strong language. it almost like you feel threatened by him. trying to flex you e muscle because in real life you're a nerd? I think so.

How does underlining the word "you" constitute "such strong language" or flexing "e muscle"? You seem to be overly sensative.

it is that time of the month so you might be correct.

libdem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Woooooo, go gold!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tricordertrekkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2007, 01:09:55 PM »
I just wanted to say thank you to the current (and former) WCL students that took the time to write about their experiences. WCL was my top choice when I first applied to law school a few years ago, until I decided to do a Masters first and then joined the Peace Corps. I'm only interested in international law and it's really great to be reminded why I picked WCL before and would be happy to do so again, even though I'm also applying to other places that would be nice to go to.

Now...back to killing mosquitoes in South Africa....
Georgetown c/o 2011

shubunk

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2008, 10:15:39 AM »
Hello, im glad I found this post since American is my top choice so far. I know this post is old but I have a few questions about American…

How much should I expect to pay for housing off campus whit a roommate?

Does the school assist in people finding roommates or am I on my own?

Is it better/cheaper to live on or off campus?

Is there an accepted students day?

Thank you very much for making this thread.