Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: American WCL 1L Taking Questions  (Read 10298 times)

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
Re: American WCL 1L Taking Questions
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2007, 12:23:30 AM »
Bruin and Botbot...please stop wasting your time trolling against WCL.  There are plenty of people out there that are genuinely interested in WCL, and this thread was to serve as Q&A for those people.  Not for pathetic jerks like you guys that hijack threads and troll.  You really should get a hobby - hell, get a dog...Either wasy, give it a rest. 

You guys are really turning into poor representatives of your school(s) if the best you can come up with is belittling another school to make yours shine. I could really care less if you think Tulane is better than WCL --- honestly, I don't need your assurances to make me feel comfortable about my law school choice.

Waste your time trolling somewhere else...

Hijack? My first post in this thread was a one sentance comment. My subsequent posts have all been responses to your posts.

You started a thread about your law school- you need to be open to the idea that such a thread will not be a complete PR campaign for your school and that other posters might have an opinion or comment they wish to share.
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

Americanlaw10

• American WCL '10
    • AOL Instant Messenger - UKSoccer525
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - UKSoccer525
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2007, 01:16:05 AM »
Bruin and Botbot...please stop wasting your time trolling against WCL.  There are plenty of people out there that are genuinely interested in WCL, and this thread was to serve as Q&A for those people.  Not for pathetic jerks like you guys that hijack threads and troll.  You really should get a hobby - hell, get a dog...Either wasy, give it a rest. 

You guys are really turning into poor representatives of your school(s) if the best you can come up with is belittling another school to make yours shine. I could really care less if you think Tulane is better than WCL --- honestly, I don't need your assurances to make me feel comfortable about my law school choice.

Waste your time trolling somewhere else...

Hijack? My first post in this thread was a one sentance comment. My subsequent posts have all been responses to your posts.

You started a thread about your law school- you need to be open to the idea that such a thread will not be a complete PR campaign for your school and that other posters might have an opinion or comment they wish to share.

Actually...I started this thread for a Q&A to prospetive applicants....I couldn't care less about PR.  I just wanted to answer questions that a few posters were curious about (i.e. DC questions, school questions, housing, etc.)

This thread was not intended for what you and botbot brought it to.  If you want to debate about why WCL has problems, feel free to message me personally, and not hijack a thread for unintended purposes.  Surely you can see that...
Winner Chicken Dinner (Attending): American WCL!!!

Friday Night Drinking Club!!

Americanlaw10

• American WCL '10
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2007, 01:22:07 AM »
where it is the arguably the 7th best regional school (behind GTown, GW, GMU, Maryland, UVA, William and Mary).

First, I don't agree with you.  I'd say we're behind GULC and GW - and on par with the rest.  Like I said, anything 25-50 is really just a matter of location and your class rank.  A low percentage of WCL grads will get BIGLAW, just like a low percentage at UMD, GMU, UVA, W&M). 

Second, I've found the facilities to be more than adequate.  I'm not sure where you get this notion of it being too small for the student population.  500 students in a 6 story building seems pretty adequate.  In fact, that is the first time I've ever heard that argument.

Fact of the matter is, I'm happy with my law school.  I see absolutely no reason to justify my reasoning to you guys.  As I stated above, this was intended to be for applicants and/or those who are considering WCL. 

hmmmz

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2007, 01:29:37 AM »
Americanlaw10, just ignore them.

You started a thread about your law school

such strong language. it almost like you feel threatened by him. trying to flex you e muscle because in real life you're a nerd? I think so.

PIL

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2007, 02:25:34 AM »
I began law school at WCL last fall, and transferred to be with a significant other.  Having some comparative perspective, I thought I would weigh in on WCL, for those considering applying and/or attending.

With all sincerity, I could not have been happier with *MY* 1L experience at WCL.  In deciding which law school to attend, I sought a school 1) with an institutional commitment to public service, and b) with excellent public international law faculty, course offerings and extracurricular opportunities.  WCL delivers admirably on these points, yet your milage may vary depending upon what is important to you.

One of the school's strengths from my perspective -- which is not captured by objective rankings -- is that many students with public service aspirations, and considerable international experience self-select WCL.  I personally paid little attention to rankings in making my selection, and chose WCL for the above reasons.  I had the privilege of working with several students -- whose life experience and credentials I find humbling -- who did the same.  As such, WCL manages to attract a critical mass of students whose credentials far exceed the school's USNWR ranking.

If your aspirations lie in public service or public international law, WCL is without peer, at least outside of the very "top" schools.  I add this caveat because international jobs are among the most competitive and elusive and, somewhat ironically, it is easier to get these jobs from my current school (well within the so-called "top ten"), despite the fact that WCL is much stronger in this field.  If the very top schools are not an option -- and they are not for the vast majority of us -- WCL is very well respected in these fields.  For one, the school is home to several well respected scholars (many accomplished practitioners in a former life).  The school also hosts and/or sponsors much of the colloquia attended by the movers and shakers in these fields.

I was extremely happy with the quality of my professors in the first year, and felt very well prepared for my judicial externship this past summer.  I also genuinely enjoyed my fellow students, and actually quite miss them.

The transfer-buzz was intense last spring, with some of my friends considering (and actually) transferring.  Of those who transferred, one aspired to academia, others had their hearts set on the most prestigious of BIGLAW firms, and one was passionate about an area of law that is not a priority at WCL (Law & Econ).  One of my best friends -- who is most interested in international trade -- chose to stay, despite having grades that would have made transferring to a T5 relatively easy.  He landed some impressive summer offers.  I myself would not have transferred but for the very personal reason of wanting to be with my fiance.

I suppose the moral of this rant is as follows -- Acknowledging that WCL suffers from the same ills as all other schools that are not at the very top of heap -- that it's name does not guarantee lucrative employment, and that the degree does not shop equally well coast to coast -- I think the school is a grossly undervalued gem, especially for those who aspire to a career of public service, or with some international aspect.  Such students should carefully consider WCL.  I, personally, am glad that I attended WCL, and do NOT wish I began law school at my current school (even though this would have made for a less stressful 1L year).

Americanlaw10

• American WCL '10
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2007, 03:14:47 AM »
I began law school at WCL last fall, and transferred to be with a significant other.  Having some comparative perspective, I thought I would weigh in on WCL, for those considering applying and/or attending.

With all sincerity, I could not have been happier with *MY* 1L experience at WCL.  In deciding which law school to attend, I sought a school 1) with an institutional commitment to public service, and b) with excellent public international law faculty, course offerings and extracurricular opportunities.  WCL delivers admirably on these points, yet your milage may vary depending upon what is important to you.

One of the school's strengths from my perspective -- which is not captured by objective rankings -- is that many students with public service aspirations, and considerable international experience self-select WCL.  I personally paid little attention to rankings in making my selection, and chose WCL for the above reasons.  I had the privilege of working with several students -- whose life experience and credentials I find humbling -- who did the same.  As such, WCL manages to attract a critical mass of students whose credentials far exceed the school's USNWR ranking.

If your aspirations lie in public service or public international law, WCL is without peer, at least outside of the very "top" schools.  I add this caveat because international jobs are among the most competitive and elusive and, somewhat ironically, it is easier to get these jobs from my current school (well within the so-called "top ten"), despite the fact that WCL is much stronger in this field.  If the very top schools are not an option -- and they are not for the vast majority of us -- WCL is very well respected in these fields.  For one, the school is home to several well respected scholars (many accomplished practitioners in a former life).  The school also hosts and/or sponsors much of the colloquia attended by the movers and shakers in these fields.

I was extremely happy with the quality of my professors in the first year, and felt very well prepared for my judicial externship this past summer.  I also genuinely enjoyed my fellow students, and actually quite miss them.

The transfer-buzz was intense last spring, with some of my friends considering (and actually) transferring.  Of those who transferred, one aspired to academia, others had their hearts set on the most prestigious of BIGLAW firms, and one was passionate about an area of law that is not a priority at WCL (Law & Econ).  One of my best friends -- who is most interested in international trade -- chose to stay, despite having grades that would have made transferring to a T5 relatively easy.  He landed some impressive summer offers.  I myself would not have transferred but for the very personal reason of wanting to be with my fiance.

I suppose the moral of this rant is as follows -- Acknowledging that WCL suffers from the same ills as all other schools that are not at the very top of heap -- that it's name does not guarantee lucrative employment, and that the degree does not shop equally well coast to coast -- I think the school is a grossly undervalued gem, especially for those who aspire to a career of public service, or with some international aspect.  Such students should carefully consider WCL.  I, personally, am glad that I attended WCL, and do NOT wish I began law school at my current school (even though this would have made for a less stressful 1L year).

Very well said  :)

TurboBoy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2007, 07:27:54 AM »
I've been following this thread for a while.  Despite the negative QQ's, I'm very interested in going to American, and thank you all who posted helpful comments and information.
Support the arts, sleep with a musician.

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2007, 09:06:52 AM »
where it is the arguably the 7th best regional school (behind GTown, GW, GMU, Maryland, UVA, William and Mary).

First, I don't agree with you.  I'd say we're behind GULC and GW - and on par with the rest.  Like I said, anything 25-50 is really just a matter of location and your class rank. A low percentage of WCL grads will get BIGLAW, just like a low percentage at UMD, GMU, UVA, W&M).

How can you be taken seriously when you say that American is on par with UVA?
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2007, 09:10:54 AM »
Americanlaw10, just ignore them.

You started a thread about your law school

such strong language. it almost like you feel threatened by him. trying to flex you e muscle because in real life you're a nerd? I think so.

How does underlining the word "you" constitute "such strong language" or flexing "e muscle"? You seem to be overly sensative.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2007, 10:40:56 AM »
At Tulane - top 35% gets BIGLAW and has less loans as they are likely on scholarship.

How true is this?

The pre-160k bump real average of graduate salary in the top 35% from the detailed CDO handout (99% reporting) was 122k.

In the class as a whole -
10-14% of graduates took market in NYC.  10-16% of graduates took market in Houston.  5-8% of the graduates took market in Dallas.  7-10% took market in Georgia/Florida.  8-10% of the graduates took market in NOLA (depends on your BIG definition - this number could be larger or smaller)  There was a small scattering of BIGLAW in all other cities representing 3-5% of the grads.

So removing NOLA and taking the minimums - 30% got BIG/BIGMARK
Add NOLA's min - 38%

The number is likely right around 35%.  I know a few 3Ls who are right around top third who will be at BIGLAW post graduation.  I know at least one 3L who is below median that will be BIGMARK - go figure?

** It is also interesting to note that Tulane's strength comes from being able to ship people off to multiple markets - and SMU's strength (at least 35% BIGMARK) comes from dominating a single market.