Law School Discussion

-

just dot

• I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
Re: First Choice Law School - How Do I Tell Them?
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 08:27:03 AM »
I'm in the same boat.  I want to go to UF and will certainly accept if they admit me.  I peppered my DS with comments about the school and growing up in the Gainesville area.  I tried to mention the school throughout the essay.  It sounds like you were specific enough in the last paragraph to show that you know a lot about the school.  I think what they are NOT looking for is a one-sentence statement that could just have the school's name plugged in:  "...that is why I am a good fit for (insert school's name here)."

I also visited the campus.  Although I've been to the campus several times (like I said, I grew up in this area!) I wanted the admission's office to get a chance to meet me and I wanted to show my interest.  I would HIGHLY recommend you visit the school.  Not only was it a great experience that only solidified my decision to attend but they definitely took notice of me while I was there.  The lady in the office pulled my file and called me by name a few times.  Great experience.  If I don't get in I'll be crushed.

CandyMonster

• Gimme candy!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 08:42:17 AM »
'Why X' essays are always welcome.  It shows you care.

I just called and they said they accept addendums but she said they wouldn't encourage a full essay - just a paragraph

There is a difference between 'Why X' statements and addenda. Did you ask about the former or the latter?

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 09:07:45 AM »
I wrote a "Top Choice Addendum" for Cornell and talked about why Cornell was perfect for me. I mentioned geographic reasons and educational/curriculum reasons as well. Unless the application says "please do not submit an extra addenda" then there is no rule against it and use every opportunity you can to leave a good impression on the adcomm.

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 09:10:46 AM »
If nothing else it shows you are willing to put in the extra effort to get what you want... an important trait for a law student.

gclemen1

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 11:08:17 AM »
A lot of schools don't appreciate the extra stuff to read through...between the thousand of applications, the thousands of Personal Statements, and all of the addenda, they have alot of work to do.  Extra stuff is kind of a hassle for them. Ive talked to several schools about it, and they said not to send in anything extra.  Talk to someone or go to a campus visit and you can explain that, but I would suggest not doing it, or talking to the admissions office first at least.

iLukeisamazing

• Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 11:14:35 AM »
A lot of schools don't appreciate the extra stuff to read through...between the thousand of applications, the thousands of Personal Statements, and all of the addenda, they have alot of work to do.  Extra stuff is kind of a hassle for them. Ive talked to several schools about it, and they said not to send in anything extra.  Talk to someone or go to a campus visit and you can explain that, but I would suggest not doing it, or talking to the admissions office first at least.

I spoke with my #1's admissions officer at the ATL LSAC Forum. I expressed my interest in person, as I will during a visit, if I get accepted.

edaze

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 11:26:06 AM »
#1 best way to communicate that a school is your first choice: apply ED.

edaze

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 11:26:45 AM »
A signed contract speaks volumes, and much more than an interest-letter.

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 11:34:16 AM »
Not all schools have ED.

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 12:45:25 PM »
Does it really require an extra essay?  Just add a (rhetorically prettier) version of, "I promise to come if you admit me" with very umambiguous language.  It should take like one sentence.

"Due to [reason], [law school] is my top choice law school and I would certainly not entertain any other offers if [law school] were to admit me."

"I have a gigantic crush on Abby Waner.  So long as she remains unmarried, Duke Law is far and away my first choice among law schools.  If I should be so lucky as to get in, I would immediately withdraw from those pretentious schools in Boston and Palo Alto, which have less-attractive basketball teams."