Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1st Yr Assc Pay - How to get beyond this number?  (Read 5111 times)

OnTheRoad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
1st Yr Assc Pay - How to get beyond this number?
« on: November 13, 2007, 12:49:54 AM »
We've usually got a lot of discussion comparing which schools get people in to the most $$$ BigLaw first year positions. Obviously, 160K a year is great. And we're all aware of the statistics about 1st year TTT graduates making __K/year (insert sufficiently scary 2-digit number.) However, I'm finding it very hard to find more detailed information. Vault lists first year pay at a lot of firms, as well as the typical 8-year salary progression at some big firms (which seems to me to not progress very far compared to that first number.) I think there's more to it than these numbers. Obviously when you look at the raises given at a lot of places, 160 a year is a selling point to get people in the door. At the same time, though smaller firms start at lower levels, I'm curious to see what people earn as their career progresses.

I'm not looking for the quality of life vs pay argument here, which we've had in other places. I'm more griping about the paucity of useful information. I'd much rather have a 1st, 5th, 10th, 15th year salary chart than one showing me the first year and then PPP. A friend tells me that after taking a partnership law class he realised there's a lot of money to be made all over. Does anyone have insight on this issue? How do I go about finding out what people actually make beyond the first year other than stopping lawyers on the street and asking to see their bank account?

AmyWaxFanClubPresident

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
"This semester I will plunge you into the slough of despair, and when you are at your most desolate and are ready to give up, I will give you some light" - Professor Amy Wax

hmmmz

• View Profile
Re: 1st Yr Assc Pay - How to get beyond this number?
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 01:20:29 AM »

AmyWaxFanClubPresident

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 01:24:50 AM »
I think you can find it on that site when you click on individual firms.
"This semester I will plunge you into the slough of despair, and when you are at your most desolate and are ready to give up, I will give you some light" - Professor Amy Wax

OnTheRoad

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 04:02:35 AM »
Excellent stuff. The infirmation hourly pay chart is fantastic, and cuts right into the Pay v QOL question.

baytostay

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 04:18:04 AM »
http://www.nalpdirectory.com/

It lists average hours billed, pro bono policies, firm diversity, etc.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 07:34:04 AM »
Good to see Wachtell still pays 100% bonus as I thought. Had a lengthy discussion with an "insider" about this here on LSD last year. I like being right!

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 10:13:14 AM »
Good to see Wachtell still pays 100% bonus as I thought. Had a lengthy discussion with an "insider" about this here on LSD last year. I like being right!

Didn't click any link, but show me.  Would blow me away if Wach paid 100%  bonus this year.

Lol at 10-15 year pay scale...

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 10:39:36 AM »
you won't see many 10-15 year pay scales because at most firms it's make partner or move on... even at the smaller ones.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 10:46:25 AM »
you won't see many 10-15 year pay scales because at most firms it's make partner or move on... even at the smaller ones.

"Move on" is likely the nicest way to put it.