Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U Minnesota?  (Read 866 times)

thechoson

U Minnesota?
« on: March 16, 2004, 03:37:21 PM »
I received a letter from Minnesota Twin Cities, saying they'll extend the deadline to April 1st if I apply (however no fee waiver!).  I know this isn't special.  But Minnesota is a good school.  I was wondering if it would be worth it even applying, considering my meagre numbers- 3.2/ 165 from UCLA.  What do you guys think?  Do i even have a shot at Minnesota?
Thanks!

Enzyme

• View Profile
Re: U Minnesota?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 05:58:09 PM »
I received a letter from Minnesota Twin Cities, saying they'll extend the deadline to April 1st if I apply (however no fee waiver!).  I know this isn't special.  But Minnesota is a good school.  I was wondering if it would be worth it even applying, considering my meagre numbers- 3.2/ 165 from UCLA.  What do you guys think?  Do i even have a shot at Minnesota?
Thanks!

I think applying would be a good thing for you if you are sincerely interested in attending the best school possible and you havent been accepted to another school on this level or above. The fee for the app can be money well spent just to have a shot.

As far as your numbers, I havent looked at their 25/75% range for GPA, but just looking in the PReview LSAT book in front of me their Average GPA is 3.6 and their LSAT 25%/75% is 160-164 and you beat this. So that can only help your application.

The real question is how long will it take them to make a decision and will this affect your time frame at other schools where you cant get back with them. If you are granted admission, scholarship aid is probably out just given the timeframe, as that deadline has passed. My wife and I are both currently attending the U of MN in graudate programs and scholarships and fellowships have been under the pressure of the state budget as well. The U does have a strong reputation in the area, but as with any local school the further you get away from their region the less people know of it. So it depends on where you want to practice and how you market yourself. The program does have national reach, and their clincial programs are supposed to be pretty good.

Dont forget the cold weather up here too as you decide, especially from UCLA. It is winter from October to April basically with many days under 20 degrees and snow. However, you can do it as I am from Texas and went to undergrad in Florida and have survived two winters.

Good luck in whatever you decide, I am just starting my LSAT prep for the admissions application process most likely for next year and plan to take the LSAT in June.

marcman

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.85/166
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 09:09:02 PM »
I think you have a good shopt there with your #'s

thechoson

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 04:24:36 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for the replies.  Yea I am still considering applying, and going to the best school I possibly can will be a consideration.
However, I was under the impression that Minnesota was a top-20 school.  Wouldn't this be enough to make it national?  I would like to come back to California after law school, would a degree from Minnesota make this possible?  Or would it just be better going to a regional school in California?  Thanks!