Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: taking LSAT while pregnant  (Read 5249 times)

hopper

• View Profile
taking LSAT while pregnant
« on: November 11, 2007, 06:30:23 PM »
Hello,
this isn't necessarily a question just for nontraditional students, but i would be in that category. i am planning to take the LSAT in feb when I will be 8 months pregnant. has anyone done this before? i am sort of concerned about it but i figure it beats the alternatives (1-taking it with a newborn and a 4 yr old; and 2-just dropping the whole law school thing altogether.)
i am most concerned about lack of energy, not being able to snack at will, and being distracted by physical discomforts-although by month 8 it won't be as bad as months 1-4 or month 9/9+.
any advice is appreciated.

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: taking LSAT while pregnant
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 09:04:02 PM »
  My biggest worry about 8 months along would be the bathroom situation.   :D

Yep. the bathroom thing and sitting for so long would be my worries.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I never felt my best mentally during my 5 pregnancies.

And good luck with whatever you decide. If you can wait, I'd just wait, but I'm looking at this from the prospective of a 39 year old just applying to law school now :).

hopper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 10:01:42 PM »
thanks all. i will probably go ahead and do it. only 1 snack break, huh?  hopefully it won't be too disasterous. But after my 1st, i could not think straight for like a year. 

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 12:15:44 PM »
Congrats on your pregnancy. I don't think you should have to give up your dream.  I thought for a little while that maybe I had missed my "window of opportunity" for law school but now I'm convinced that I actually waited for the perfect time.  I have a 4 year old and an 18 month old.  Although I'm dreading putting my son in daycare next year  (I've been a stay-at-home mother) I think he will be fine and probably actually better off in the long-run with a mother who is happy and fulfilled personally.  (whew...sorry, got off on a tangent about myself!)

Personally, I'm a blithering idiot when I'm pregnant and for about the first 6 months after birth.  If you're not, though, go for it!  I agree with the other posters that the bathroom situation might be the most difficult thing for you, but if you plan carefully and don't drink too much that morning you should be alright.  The test actually seemed to go very fast to me.  Once I got in the zone it seems like it just flew by.  Great times.  Good luck and I'm sure you will do very well.  If you are prepared the LSAT doesn't have to be so scary. 
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

azoraraine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 04:43:45 PM »
I took it with two infants.  I honestly can't say which would be worse - although my score was not terrible, considering how little prep I did, and how little sleep I was getting at the time (and the fact I was going through a divorce - eek!).  I know some people with blood sugar issues get to bring snacks, so it perhaps you could get a special dispensation to have something on hand to eat?  It really goes by so fast - - but maybe not if you're dying of hunger and have a 6 pound baby tap dancing on your bladder;-).

Dotlyn, I don't want to hijack the thread, but I share your mixed feelings about giving up the SAHM thing.  I will find out this week if LSAC is going to leave my GPA in good shape for UC-Davis, and if it does - I'll be frantically trying to figure out if I can afford good options for the twins (not to mention if I'll be able to handle going cold-turkey on the all-day mom thing!).  Good luck! 

S

hopper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 10:02:01 AM »
thx everyone.

i guess i will be open to taking it again, if need be, with a newborn. maybe it will be better than i remember last time. i think i have been impressionistic about my energy levels thus far and by 8 months it could be more difficult.

i wonder how far the testing room is from the bathroom? i should have gone to look before selecting the test site.  ;)

bridget_jones

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 08:57:07 AM »
I had not seen desks so small since about fourth grade until I took the LSAT. They were the small kind with the chair and desk combined. I don't think an eight month pregnant lady could've fit in there. Surely they will have to accomodate you though, if something like that happens.

contrarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 05:17:53 PM »
I had not seen desks so small since about fourth grade until I took the LSAT. They were the small kind with the chair and desk combined. I don't think an eight month pregnant lady could've fit in there. Surely they will have to accomodate you though, if something like that happens.

Hah.  I'm a pretty big guy (300lbs) and they had me scheduled to take the LSAT in an lecture hall style classroom with the desks you describe.  In addition to me being twice the size they built the chair for, i'm left handed.

By the love of the god I don't believe exists, a band was practicing next door who refused to move so they put us in a different room with real desks. 

hopper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 11:51:13 PM »
i know - i am really worried about it - but i am applying for an accommodation, to take it at a table. i am not hopeful though.

a band next door? thats nuts

Quetzal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 02:37:32 PM »
I took the September LSAT while pregnant 8 mos... I was thinking that I could just retake it in December, but let's just say that the baby was born in November and I was in NO SHAPE to take it in December (and I was also breastfeeding).

I suggest you get your OBGYN to sign the form for special accomodation.. I was lucky to get a table instead of a desk, and was close to a restroom.

By the way, my mind was totally mush and I scored mid 150's.. fortunately, I got accepted to the school I really wanted.  Good luck!