Law School Discussion

in LSAT mode once again!

in LSAT mode once again!
« on: November 11, 2007, 06:39:28 AM »
I've decided to start studying for the LSAT once again, in preparation for the February test.  Although I'm somewhat happy with my Sept score, reading these posts in the past few weeks has made me wonder whether it's possible for me to boost my score.  I scored a 163, but even a 2 point boost would put me firmly in the "acceptance" pile in the schools I'm applying to.  I don't plan to register for Feb, though, unless I can consistently score higher by Christmas.  I wouldn't take the test unless I was fairly certain I'd score higher.  Worst comes to worst, I stick with my current score.

I've been averaging 163 before my Sept test, although I have scored as high as 169 in practice (but have gone as low as 159).  Is it unrealistic for me to average around a 168 by Christmas/New Year's with intense studying?  Is this really just wishful thinking?

gclemen1

Re: in LSAT mode once again!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 09:18:35 AM »
I was practicing around the mid 160's and got a 166 on the real thing (1 lower than my highest prac. test)...i guess the adrenaline got me in the zone!

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 09:35:43 AM »
Great job!  I only wish I could've peaked on the real day.  But I don't think that's a chance I'm willing to take, because I have the worst luck in the world.  I want a 165, so unless I'm averaging 168 by the registration deadline, I'm not going to sign up for the test.  I went hardcore at this test for 3 months before the Sept test.  I'm willing to spare another 2 months of my life, despite having to put my other interests on hold.

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 05:07:12 PM »
If you have the drive, and plenty fo study materials, it seems fairly reasonable to move between those points. I dont knwo if I totally agree that 2 points can push you into certain acceptance, it's still within the "confidence band" the lsac gives, meaning it is reaosnably fluke likely. i think if you do well enough to come out 4-5 points ahead youll be doing much better. But I think youre being a bit conservative giving yoruself til christmas, if you really take it seriously, sign up and push yourself, while I don't knwo you personally, most people scoring in your range area are intelligent enough to learn the test, and with the requisite effort I think you can get into that school you're hoping for.

(In reference to your handle, F*&^ you riddled basins)

gclemen1

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 05:17:15 PM »
You're a better man than I, riddled basins.  The thought of re-taking makes me nauseous.

True that!  The only way I would have retaken is if I scored lower than a 162 or so!

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 08:10:05 PM »
If you have the drive, and plenty fo study materials, it seems fairly reasonable to move between those points. I dont knwo if I totally agree that 2 points can push you into certain acceptance, it's still within the "confidence band" the lsac gives, meaning it is reaosnably fluke likely. i think if you do well enough to come out 4-5 points ahead youll be doing much better. But I think youre being a bit conservative giving yoruself til christmas, if you really take it seriously, sign up and push yourself, while I don't knwo you personally, most people scoring in your range area are intelligent enough to learn the test, and with the requisite effort I think you can get into that school you're hoping for.

But do law schools even consider your score band?  I don't understand what the point of it is.  Sure, as of now, they think I can score anywhere from 160-166.  And if I happen to score 165 next time, then what would be the consequence of scoring within my original score band?  If a school just takes your highest LSAT, shouldn't even a 1 or 2 point increase mean something if it means you're jumping over another 2-4% of test takers/applicants?

A 2 point increase should be all I need to be a certain acceptance if I go by the "highest LSAT" criteria used by most Canadian schools.  I have a fairly good chance with my top choices as it stands now, but just scoring a little higher would put me over the top.  That is, barring some conflict with the way schools view my score band.

(in reference to your quote, duly noted  8) )

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 08:12:07 PM »
Wallace, if I had a 169 like you, the thought of re-taking would make me nauseous as well!

Gclemen, what's the difference between a 162 and 163?

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 08:21:57 PM »

But do law schools even consider your score band?  I don't understand what the point of it is.  Sure, as of now, they think I can score anywhere from 160-166.  And if I happen to score 165 next time, then what would be the consequence of scoring within my original score band?  If a school just takes your highest LSAT, shouldn't even a 1 or 2 point increase mean something if it means you're jumping over another 2-4% of test takers/applicants?

A 2 point increase should be all I need to be a certain acceptance if I go by the "highest LSAT" criteria used by most Canadian schools.  I have a fairly good chance with my top choices as it stands now, but just scoring a little higher would put me over the top.  That is, barring some conflict with the way schools view my score band.

(in reference to your quote, duly noted  8) )

Well it just seems ot me if a school acknowledges the score band idea, or at least acknowledges that there is a margin of error on the test (LSAC puts it at 2.4pts if I recall..)
So you scored a 161 meaning you're in the 158-164 area, you score a 163, it doesn't really tell them anything new. Now they might you like a little better because it may help them with rankings (not sure how rankings work for canadian schools tbh)

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 11:06:27 PM »
You're a better man than I, riddled basins.  The thought of re-taking makes me nauseous.

Apparently not!  This past week has been a big waste for me.  I thought re-studying for the LSAT this time around would be pressure-free, since I was already happy with my Sept score.  And it certainly was free of pressure, however, I found myself questioning whether there was any point to re-taking the test in February.  I do think I'm improving, having scored 165+ on 3 tests this past week.  Still, I've decided I want to enjoy my life again.  This is my year off, and I'd rather not spend half of it studying for this devilish test.  I'm not applying to HYS, so my current score will get me into law school anyway.

Good luck to the Dec and Feb takers!

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 11:38:08 PM »
I'm retaking if not for any other reason than I know I can do better than a 163. Regardless of what people say about the test being equated etc..., The -8 = 170 scale of the June test was ridiculous; and it got me.