Law School Discussion

Grammar: semicolon delimited list of quotes

kirchner

• Yes, that is a Promise Keepers t-shirt.
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
Grammar: semicolon delimited list of quotes
« on: November 10, 2007, 06:59:39 AM »
For example:

These are some quotes from The Blues Brothers: "We are on a mission from God."; "You're gonna look pretty funny trying to eat corn on the cob with no f-in' teeth."; "You got my cheese wiz boy?"

Is that a proper use of semicolons to separate the quotes?  Does the semicolon go before or after the closing quote? 

carit

Re: Grammar: semicolon delimited list of quotes
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 08:20:55 AM »
It definitely goes after the closing quote, assuming it's proper to use them at all (on that, I have no idea). My concern is that you aren't supposed to have two punctuation marks with the quotes:

Rule 2     

The placement of question marks with quotes follows logic. If a question is in quotation marks, the question mark should be placed inside the quotation marks.

Do you agree with the saying, "All's fair in love and war"?
Here the question is outside the quote.

NOTE    Only one ending punctuation mark is used with quotation marks. Also, the stronger punctuation mark wins. Therefore, no period after war is used.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

Miss P

• View Profile
Re: Grammar: semicolon delimited list of quotes
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 06:14:26 PM »
If you use the semicolons, take out the periods in the first two quotations.  If this is for a formal piece of writing, you should also refer to these (nouns) as "quotations," not "quotes" ("quote" is a verb).  I hope that's helpful.