Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UCLA 2L taking qs  (Read 656 times)

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
UCLA 2L taking qs
« on: November 09, 2007, 10:55:35 PM »
Hey,
I have to be up at 5 AM tomorrow, so i'm staying inside. :( I'm happy to answer any questions people have.

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
Re: UCLA 2L taking qs
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 10:48:51 AM »
Hey,
I have to be up at 5 AM tomorrow, so i'm staying inside. :( I'm happy to answer any questions people have.

what is the job search like?  I'd like to compare it to what I'm about to go through at ND.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 02:42:34 PM »
Any estimates on how deep in the class San Francisco firms go? What about east coast firms?
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 03:54:30 PM »
I'm also very curious as to how UCLA places in areas such as chicago and new york.  Also...what's the vibe like in UCLA...is it a bunch of pretentious girls all over the place driving daddy's BMW just like "The Hills?"  I hope that's a misconception...

Thanks for this thread!
Wallace Stevens: "BLAHHHH you and I are like the same person."

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 06:46:34 PM »
Job search: OCI was screwed up this year,and spread out over three weeks. I accepted my offer by mid-october. There are a handful of people on callbacks or misc. interviews with market-paying firms. Next year it will be a solid week at one hotel. Way better, IMO.

SF firms don't give any special bump or minus to UCLA. I'd say they go about halfway in, reliably.

UCLA doesn't place a lot of students in NY or Chicago because nobody wants to go. Everyone I know who has wanted to go to Chi or NYC has been able to; we do OCI, etc. in those cities. Wachtell came here this year. The median is a good guidepost.

Since when was the vibe in UCLA a bunch of spoiled rich girls? I believe you are thinking of USC. The high school girls in westwood are like that, though, as UCLA is next to Santa Monica, Brentwood, Bel Air, and Beverly Hills.

I know about ten 1Ls who had SA jobs with V10 firms, and people with good grades who have done poorly at OCI. It's surprised me how much of your hiring success is determined by 1) any interesting work or life experience and 2) having a personality. I came right from UG so I had trouble getting callbacks for 1L SA jobs. The complete social reprobates have had less offers this year. This is comforting that firms at least try to screen out the abject weirdos..

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 09:59:28 PM »
What is your best suggestion for first years, academically-speaking?

A) not to freak out, and b) to periodically outline with a good prior outline from the course, every couple of weeks.  Just make sure you're understanding tricky things before finals period. You need to be prepared enough that you can spend most of the time writing practice exams.