Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Please help!  (Read 889 times)

MHLM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Please help!
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 07:39:00 PM »
At the age of 10 I came here from another country... minority in an ethnic sense, not race. Diversity appeal? I played that card in my personal statement, hopefully they will bite.

I honestly don't know much credit that will give you... but I have to repeat what a lot of the original respondents said: retaking the LSAT is still probably your best bet. Remember that approximately twice as many people take the LSAT in a given year as there are first-year spots in ABA-approved law schools...so if you're not above the 50th percentile, I would imagine your chances are going to be severely limited.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 10:28:47 AM »
Hey all: His numbers sound like something from my past. Actually his LSAT is exactly the same as my second score. If you can't retake then apply to the schools I got into. You may get lucky with a few b/c of your high GPA. If you don't mind moving to Indiana for a bit.. Apply to IU-Indy!! we have a great summer program that allows you to start in the summer!! http://indylaw.indiana.edu/admissions/profiles.htm   I consider this law school the best Tier 2 in the nation!! And even better at giving people a chance "like myself" who would not have gotten it from any other ABA school!! Good luck!! Contact me if you have any questions!
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

gclemen1

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 01:05:14 PM »
They are all correct.  If you can't muster up to willpower to study for a few months for a test, you prob. really aren't that cut out for law school.  Give it an honest effort for god sakes!

stefan513

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 04:24:26 PM »
Honest effort? Would you consider paying $1400 for a class and tutor while working two jobs and maintaining my 3.8 gpa an honest effort? And don't you think that my gpa reflects the determination and hardwork it takes to succeed in law school? Considering that I came to this country at 10, I think I'm in good shape. But thanks for your insightful comment.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 04:35:05 PM »
Honest effort? Would you consider paying $1400 for a class and tutor while working two jobs and maintaining my 3.8 gpa an honest effort? And don't you think that my gpa reflects the determination and hardwork it takes to succeed in law school? Considering that I came to this country at 10, I think I'm in good shape. But thanks for your insightful comment.

The LSAT is a big deal.  If you truly feel like that is as high as you can get your score - apply to law school.  You will be (and should be) disappointed in your results.

_retired_

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 05:25:18 PM »

Your thread title ("Please help!") is inaccurate.  You don't want help; you want an assessment of your current chances at admission.  Help is what the posters here have been giving you, namely good advice. 

Specifically related to the above post:  LSAC has now calculated your LSAC GPA; maintaining it is of minor concern if it means an LSAT boost.  I'm also not sure why you assume a class/tutor would be necessary for a successful retake.  Did you do extensive prep-work before the first LSAT with the Powerscore Bibles or similar books?  If not, I have no idea why you're so convinced a retake would not help you, unless the prospect of studying for the LSAT again is just that distasteful.