Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Please help!  (Read 935 times)

stefan513

• View Profile
    • Email
Please help!
« on: November 09, 2007, 04:14:54 PM »
I need some advice:

I have a 3.8 GPA as a Philosophy major but I bombed the lsat and got a 144 (I'm not a good standardized test taker).  I don't want to take the lsat again because I know it won't help and I've accepted my fate!  I have taken very challenging courses throughout my undergrad career.  I will have great letters of recommendation and I have a good personal statement.  I was very involved throughout my 4 years in college.  I have a diverse background which hopefully will help.  Here are a list of the schools I've applied to-what do you think my chances are?
University of San Diego (Part time program)
Loyola Marymount
Santa Clara
Southwestern (PT)
Chapman
Cal Western
LaVerne
Whittier

Is it really possible that my four years of hard work and good grades won't pay off because of one stupid test?  Thanks for your help?  And please be kind!

iLukeisamazing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
Re: Please help!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 04:49:27 PM »
I'll be the first to say it: Buy a good study book and study your tail off for the February test. I'm also terrible at standardized tests, but knowing that you can hold such a high GPA, you've got to be intelligent. If you figure out the test itself, you'll be good to go.

1. Retake

2. Apply

3. Do well in school

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 05:32:07 PM »
You are screwed.  Retake - the LSAT is the single most important factor in your law school application.

aneffigy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 06:00:54 PM »
Please, please, please retake the LSAT. Even with your GPA, your chances of getting in anywhere right now are extremely low. Even if you can break 150, you'll be far better off. You have to be able to do better than a 144 with a 3.8 GPA and "rigorous classes."

stefan513

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 06:23:20 PM »
Please, please, please retake the LSAT. Even with your GPA, your chances of getting in anywhere right now are extremely low. Even if you can break 150, you'll be far better off. You have to be able to do better than a 144 with a 3.8 GPA and "rigorous classes."

Problem is I sent in all my apps yesterday. Realistically I would have to wait until the Feb test, so if I decided to retake, should I alert each school that another score will be coming? I'm really hoping to get in part time somewhere (since they don't have to report scores) and then prove myself and transfer. Good strategy?

aneffigy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 06:28:25 PM »
Problem is I sent in all my apps yesterday. Realistically I would have to wait until the Feb test, so if I decided to retake, should I alert each school that another score will be coming? I'm really hoping to get in part time somewhere (since they don't have to report scores) and then prove myself and transfer. Good strategy?

If there's one thing I've learned from this board it's to never, ever count on transferring. I'll let someone else elaborate.

MHLM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 06:34:33 PM »
If there's one thing I've learned from this board it's to never, ever count on transferring. I'll let someone else elaborate.

This thread isn't too extensive, but it mentions some of the primary warnings about attending a school with the intention of transferring...
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php?topic=95385.msg2441459;topicseen

stefan513

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 07:07:27 PM »
Well it seems my options are limited: I either retake the test and score 150 or above (which is unlikely) or I become a professor... or non-aba? Don't think I could, I'd be too bitter that I worked my ass off and couldn't get in anywhere I think I deserve to go. I guess I'll have to wait and see... strangely enough tho, Boston college admitted 2 people out of 50 with my numbers... I can dream can't I?

MHLM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 07:14:27 PM »
Well it seems my options are limited: I either retake the test and score 150 or above (which is unlikely) or I become a professor... or non-aba? Don't think I could, I'd be too bitter that I worked my ass off and couldn't get in anywhere I think I deserve to go. I guess I'll have to wait and see... strangely enough tho, Boston college admitted 2 people out of 50 with my numbers... I can dream can't I?

Are you a URM? That would probably give you a boost.

stefan513

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 07:26:15 PM »
At the age of 10 I came here from another country... minority in an ethnic sense, not race. Diversity appeal? I played that card in my personal statement, hopefully they will bite.