Law School Discussion

Northwestern interview

Re: Northwestern interview
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 11:54:53 AM »
My interview was with an admissions rep that was visiting my city. I got the why NU and why law questions. I didn't get any of the other questions that anyone mentioned. I was asked what would I do this year if I wasn't admitted into law school anywhere and what do I do in a situation where I am the "new learner" and how do I deal with people that are different from me. Basically the rest of the time she just talked about the school in general and let me ask whatever questions I had.

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 12:39:54 PM »
Anyone done one?  What do you think the dress code is?

I had one this past Wednesday.  I dressed like I would if I was going to court and speaking in front of a judge(if that helps).  I interviewed with an alumni who was dressed much more casual, but what I was wearing still felt appropriate.  They asked a few questions but mostly let me ask questions and do the talking.  I got a lot of information in responses and in all spent about 45 minutes in the interview.  It was much less stressful and intimidating that I had made it out to be.  Good luck!

TallisUmbras

• The Doors of Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 03:41:09 PM »
I have a Northwestern on-campus interview coming up in a few weeks. I am guessing that everyone brought their resumes but did it seem like the NW rep had looked over it previously? Did anyone bring gifts for the admissions staff?

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 04:24:29 PM »
I have a Northwestern on-campus interview coming up in a few weeks. I am guessing that everyone brought their resumes but did it seem like the NW rep had looked over it previously? Did anyone bring gifts for the admissions staff?

My interview is this coming week but with a student.  I'm excited to see the campus.  I haven't even turned my application in yet so I know they won't have seen my resume beforehand and I'm not bringing gifts for the admission staff.  That would seem sort of lame, IMO.

Shark Week

• officially a Michigan troll now
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 04:26:46 PM »
It was clear during my interview that my interviewer hadn't read my resume, but it didn't really affect the interview. He just scanned it for things to ask.

No gifts are necessary, and I think they'd probably count against you.

TallisUmbras

• The Doors of Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2007, 09:02:02 PM »
It was clear during my interview that my interviewer hadn't read my resume, but it didn't really affect the interview. He just scanned it for things to ask.

Makes you think what they are looking for then. Perhaps they just have a giant stamp that says "Not A Tool"...

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 06:40:49 AM »
tl, when are you visiting? I see prospective students sitting in on one of my classes fairly often (a Thurs/Friday AM class) and am happy to answer any questions in person if you are around campus at a time when I'm free.

My interview is Friday morning.  That would be great if you're around.

Hannibal

• I love it when a plan comes together
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 08:06:33 AM »

Makes you think what they are looking for then. Perhaps they just have a giant stamp that says "Not A Tool"...

Absolutely.  Same for the Harvard phone interview.  They just want to know that your 170+ 3.9+ stats aren't the result of a life lived in the library.

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 05:58:16 PM »
Is it common for them to assign an alumni interview in which it would have to be done over the phone because you live across the country from each other. The first interviewer I was assigned to works with my uncle so I had to be reassigned and I just received an email for the new person who lives in NY, I am in FL. I was hoping for an in person interview. Phone interviews are so impersonal and I think will be more difficult to hit a home run. Any suggestions?

rsr28

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 06:13:30 PM »
In case anyone else wants more input to prepare for their interview...

I had an alumni interview in New York.  My interviewer was very accommodating with my schedule and quick to respond to e-mails.  He was not much older than me but having done some simple research (<5 minutes) beforehand I already knew that.  Young associate in biglaw, so planned to focus many of my questions around that.

Basically did what others said -- started the conversation by scanning my resume.  But that was just that -- a starting point and nothing more.  I ended up asking all the questions.  Didn't particularly focus on NU which may have been a mistake but I was genuinely interested in hearing about his experiences before, during, and after law school.  So it is what it is.  He definitely got a little antsy at the end as we approached 1 hour so I suggest making sure you try to wrap things up in that 45 minute to 1 hour window (at most).

In short, I absolutely did not get grilled and was very conversational with the interviewer which seemed to go over well.  Dressed business casual (shirt & tie, gray slacks, nice shoes) which seemed to be Ok (although I was worried when a few people came into the waiting area absolutely decked out in Armanis etc. -- fortunately my interviewer was dressed similar to me).   I had thought about wearing a suit but elected not to because biz casual is really my persona and I didn't want to present myself as something I'm not.  I am serious about going to law school but think I will do well because I get down to business and do not play "buzzword games".  Maybe delusional logic but it is what it is.

Happy to answer any questions that people may have...