Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

What type of computer do you use/plan on using in law school?

Mac
 33 (48.5%)
Dell
 9 (13.2%)
HP
 6 (8.8%)
Sony
 4 (5.9%)
Gateway
 0 (0%)
Other
 16 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: Apple Computers?  (Read 2570 times)

billymahogany

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Apple Computers?
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 11:36:06 AM »
This is a flawed survey because mac users are more likely to click on this thread and thus participate in this survey than are non-mac-users.

Everytime I think you're a good guy, you come in and ruin my party... I'm just kidding, and I was more or less wondering about how many LSDers used Macs, that's all.

Hah, I was expecting this thread to speculate on whether macs would be better suited for law school than PC's.  But when I got inside I found a guerrilla style survey.  Sacrilege! 
In:  UF, Tulane, FSU($), Miami($$$), Stetson, Oregon($)
Out: Washington and Lee
W/L: Arizona
Decision: UF c/o 2011!

iLukeisamazing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 11:39:08 AM »
This is a flawed survey because mac users are more likely to click on this thread and thus participate in this survey than are non-mac-users.

Everytime I think you're a good guy, you come in and ruin my party... I'm just kidding, and I was more or less wondering about how many LSDers used Macs, that's all.

Hah, I was expecting this thread to speculate on whether macs would be better suited for law school than PC's.  But when I got inside I found a guerrilla style survey.  Sacrilege! 

There's not doubt about that my friend.

Besides, this information will only be used to spam your emails with messages from Apple...

ManTGeo

• Sr. Citizen
  • HLS 2012!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 05:35:59 PM »
The fact that Thinkpads are not on the survey probably means that the OP has not been taking close looks at the pictures in a lot of admissions brochures. Although I have noticed a crapload of Dells in pictures, too - I can not for the life of me figure out why anyone would by the piece of useless plastic crap that is a Dell laptop.

For me, there are only two or three real brands of laptops out there: Mac, IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads, and maybe Sony. I own a Thinkpad and could never imagine owning anything else. Thinkpads are, from what I can tell, the computer of choice of the legal profession. And in response to ě's comment: I actually haven't found the Lenovo switchover to be so terrible.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 11:18:31 PM »
NYU doesn't let students use Mac. There may be others as well.

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 11:49:01 PM »
I use an Asus C90s

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007, 04:41:13 AM »
The fact that Thinkpads are not on the survey probably means that the OP has not been taking close looks at the pictures in a lot of admissions brochures. Although I have noticed a crapload of Dells in pictures, too - I can not for the life of me figure out why anyone would by the piece of useless plastic crap that is a Dell laptop.

For me, there are only two or three real brands of laptops out there: Mac, IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads, and maybe Sony. I own a Thinkpad and could never imagine owning anything else. Thinkpads are, from what I can tell, the computer of choice of the legal profession. And in response to ě's comment: I actually haven't found the Lenovo switchover to be so terrible.

Good for you, and I really do mean that :) Many people have, and I expect that the more distanced they get from IBM, the worse it will get. You really don't want to pick computers based on pictures in admissions material. This is just advertising, and advertising will never tell you what the best computer is. Thinkpads being predominant in the legal industry seems to be true, probably more so because IBM/Lenovo are willing to sell them dirt cheap than them actually being the best. That being said, I have had great experiences with Thinkpads in the past, and I have nothing against them at all. Still, the last 3 laptops I've bought have been HP, and they have all been very good and HPs customer service goes miles and miles beyond what Lenovo's does. And even for a geek like me you do need to talk to the CS people every now and then :)

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2007, 10:22:35 AM »
NYU doesn't let students use Mac. There may be others as well.

I don't think that's true.  On the law website, they have information about Mac platforms, and it's allowed to use them for exams.  They just require that you attend some kind of SES session - they've been developing a version of examsoft that works natively on macs.

http://www.law.nyu.edu/technology/laptops/laptoprequirements.html

http://www.law.nyu.edu/technology/laptops/macsesbeta.html
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2007, 10:50:08 AM »
Yea. It seems that this is new for this year.

K?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do You Believe Her
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2007, 01:28:18 AM »
<3 my Macbook.  At worst, it'll get an upgrade before law school.
B < PL

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2007, 09:16:39 AM »
I'm really struggling to understand this law student obsession with macs. I know Apple has been good at marketing them as hip and trendy, but I really hope my fellow students look a bit deeper than that.