Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: "W"s on transcripts counted as F's for LSDAS GPA?  (Read 1596 times)

kaygirl1

• View Profile
    • Email
"W"s on transcripts counted as F's for LSDAS GPA?
« on: November 09, 2007, 05:03:44 AM »
Are W's counted as F's when using the LSDAS GPA conversion?

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
Re: "W"s on transcripts counted as F's for LSDAS GPA?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 07:13:01 AM »
Yes, they are.  That is why my GPA is so low.  I have two full semesters of dropped courses due to two family emergencies and LSAC is counting them all as F's.  I wrote an addendum and I'm hoping the adcomms will take that into consideration.  I should be more like a 3.3 (still not steller but not quite as bad).
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 07:45:46 AM »
Typically no - Withdrawls are not counted provided they are considered by the school to be 'nonpunitive'
University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN

Guiness19

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 09:18:53 AM »
If your school has W's AND WF's then W's are not counted as F's. If it wasn't punitive at your university it won't be by LSDAS standards.

jason_perrlx

• Sr. Citizen
  • Betrayed by Dot. Plotting revenge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 10:46:22 AM »
I have one W on my transcript and it was not counted as an F in calculating my GPA.  It wasn't counted at all.

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 10:56:27 AM »
I have two W's on mine, and neither was counted as an F

lauralaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 11:26:36 AM »
same here. i had a bunch of w's for one semester because i had to drop out to work.

none counted as Fs. they just didn't count at all because my LSAC gpa and transcript GPA are   not different.

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 11:38:59 AM »
What???? Geez, that makes me so mad.  I got hosed.  Why are my W's counted as F's???  Is it my school, you think?  I looked on my transcript and they said "W."
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

jason_perrlx

• Sr. Citizen
  • Betrayed by Dot. Plotting revenge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 11:42:17 AM »
It doesn't seem fair at all to me either.  You should call LSAC and ask.  Even if they insist that it is fair or refuse to change it for some other reason, you should go ahead and write an adendum explaining the situation and be sure to include what your GPA would be w/out the W's counted. 

If you do find out it's because of your school... when the smoke clears and you're set to go to law school... you should give your school's pre-professional counselor a call. Tell him/her that the way they report grades to LSAC is really creating problems for their students.  I can't believe they're doing that on purpose.  Let them know that many other schools do not report W's as F's and that you have to compete with students from those schools.

Guiness19

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 12:07:09 PM »
What's your school's policy for withdrawing? Did you withdraw because you were failing/ going to get a really bad grade?

The way it works at my university - you can drop a class for the first week to 10 days w/ no "penalty", you can withdraw and get a W in the first 6 weeks (approx), and then after that if you withdraw it becomes a WF (whether you're failing or not). So when peoeple have W's on their transcript (at my university) it's usually not because they were failing the class or definitely going to get a bad grade - it's just that the drop period has passed and for whatever reason they want to get out. Yes, their grade might not be great but they still have 6+ weeks to bring it up.

Last fall, our classes started the Tuesday before labor day. I had a class that was only on Monday. So no Monday class the 1st week b/c they started on Tuesday, nomonday class the 2nd week because it was labor day, and by the third monday when I acutally went to the class, hated it, and decided to drop, I had to take a W.

I would just look into your school's policy and whether or not it's a W because you were going to fail.