Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Former underdog, now 3L taking questions  (Read 2637 times)

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Former underdog, now 3L taking questions
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2007, 08:41:56 AM »
Creds: 2nd tier school, 3L, top 1%, published, law review, moot court, scholarship, circuit court clerkship lined up, biglaw to follow.

I figured I'd answer some questions b/c 1) I'm arrogant and like attention, 2) I see some horrible advice on this and other boards, and 3) I'm procrastinating on a big assignment that I should be doing right now.

big underpants, that you?

Underdog_3L

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 09:57:50 AM »
First off, congrats on the clerkship!  ;D

A couple of questions for you:

1) What is the one piece (or pieces) of advice you wish you had received before starting school?

2) Is there anything you wish you had done differently during 1L (i.e. studied more, studied less, visited more office hours, stressed less)?

Thanks!
1) Don't worry about what everyone else is doing. I still remember those kids that showed up to the first class with the first 5 chapters in their textbook tabbed & were outlining in September. I kind of let them freak me out. Oddly enough, I don't recall seeing many of those kids around the law review office.

2) Definitely stressed left. I also wish I had less of those 'let's start at class 1 & go through our notes' parties with my study group. Those proved to be pretty worthless & a waste of time.

Underdog_3L

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 10:01:45 AM »
I'm a 1L at T2.

Please tell me about your balance of practice exams vs. outlines.

I've not really been outlining much, and it has me worried because everyone under the sun at my school seems to be completely up to date with outlines. 

About a month into the semester, I started taking practice exams and meeting with several other students to discuss answers, but I've only been taking 1-2 per week (and by "taking" I mean "outlining an answer").  Do you treat practice exams like the real deal (writing out the answer fully, taking the scheduled time)?  I was planning on spending most of my Thanksgiving break on creating outlines.  Do you think it's more beneficial to just keep doing practice exams?  Thanks.

I'm going to punt on this 1. I don't think it matters much. Make sure you outline & learn how to navigate through your outline, make sure you do practice tests, etc. But I don't think there is any magical formula. Make sure you write out at least 1 exam, but otherwise I don't think it matters whether you tend to do practice tests aloud with friends or you type them up at home. Just find a method that you prefer.

lawschoolismyfav

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2007, 10:20:58 AM »
hey, I really want to read something to get at least some information before i start school. even though you think there arenít any with substantial info out there, what book would give me a good preview of the first year?

Underdog_3L

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2007, 10:40:18 AM »
hey, I really want to read something to get at least some information before i start school. even though you think there arenít any with substantial info out there, what book would give me a good preview of the first year?
No clue. I only read the one.

Underdog_3L

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2007, 10:27:32 PM »
It's almost 10:30 PM & my mind is numb from this oral arg that I'm working on. Taking q's for the purpose of distracting myself...

Underdog_3L

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2007, 11:17:12 PM »
Oh well. I guess nobody is interested. Have a good night.