Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Former underdog, now 3L taking questions  (Read 2617 times)

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Former underdog, now 3L taking questions
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 11:00:45 AM »
Lol.  Big school?

Underdog_3L

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 11:06:04 AM »
I feel I am a smart person, I am fully prepared to work my tail off at law school, and I am very confident in myself and my abilites; but let's be honest, everyone else attending law school feels the same way.  If everyone wants to be at the top, what separates the top 5% frome everyone else?  Are you saying it is effort/work-ethic?
I think work-ethic is a lot of it. Everyone convinces themselves that they study really hard, but the fact remains that many of those people are full of crap and just being melodramatic. Many of my friends fell behind throughout the course of the semester and then convinced themselved by pulling an all-nighter or two that they had "studied hard." As a 1L, this isn't good enough. You need to develop the proper legal analysis skills and understand the course material. What is more important than cramming is consistency. Keep up with the reading, visit your professors' office hours when you have questions, do practice problems, etc.

Additionally, I'm sure natural ability and level of interest play into the equation. Some people are just better at this than others. If you threw my girlfriend into my 1L Criminal Law class, she'd struggle, just as I'd do terribly in one of her Calculus classes. Different people are just better at different things. The problem is that I think that a lot of people go to law school because they like the prestige of saying "I'm a lawyer" or they simply graduate from college and don't know what to do next. These people are often setting themselves up for failure. The better approach is to do something that you like and find interesting.

Roy Lichtenstein

• Sr. Citizen
  • I Can See the Whole Room . . . , 1961
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 11:34:15 AM »
Underdog and archival, thanks for the advice.

I didn't know they had practice tests and problems...that is good to know!  I've been working for a couple of years and I am truly viewing this degree as an investment (a very HUGE investment) rather than a continuation of undergrad, so hopefully that mindset will help me keep myself in check when studying.
If at first you don't succeed, apply, apply again!

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 11:52:44 AM »
Did you read any books or prepare at all before starting 1L, or did you just chill the entire summer? Grats on doing well by the way.

Underdog_3L

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 12:04:58 PM »
Did you read any books or prepare at all before starting 1L, or did you just chill the entire summer? Grats on doing well by the way.
I read one. It was pretty much worthless. Basically just 100 pages of "Gotta stay positive!", "work hard!", "look over your material after class," and "only you can help yourself!"

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007, 06:32:57 AM »
Sounds like the holy grail

futurelawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2007, 02:40:02 PM »
First off, congrats on the clerkship!  ;D

A couple of questions for you:

1) What is the one piece (or pieces) of advice you wish you had received before starting school?

2) Is there anything you wish you had done differently during 1L (i.e. studied more, studied less, visited more office hours, stressed less)?

Thanks!
Accepted: Michigan, Northwestern, GULC, UCLA, Vanderbilt, WUSTL ($$$$), Boston University, Boston College ($$$), U Washington, William & Mary ($$), UC Hastings, Temple ($$$$) :)

Deferred: Harvard

Boo!: U Chicago, Berkeley, Yale

Pending: Everything else

BigLulz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2007, 08:37:08 PM »
How does it feel to be the envy of almost all other law students?

Congrats on working hard and having it pay off - enjoy the great life to follow!
!!!

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2007, 08:30:07 PM »
I'm a 1L at T2.

Please tell me about your balance of practice exams vs. outlines.

I've not really been outlining much, and it has me worried because everyone under the sun at my school seems to be completely up to date with outlines. 

About a month into the semester, I started taking practice exams and meeting with several other students to discuss answers, but I've only been taking 1-2 per week (and by "taking" I mean "outlining an answer").  Do you treat practice exams like the real deal (writing out the answer fully, taking the scheduled time)?  I was planning on spending most of my Thanksgiving break on creating outlines.  Do you think it's more beneficial to just keep doing practice exams?  Thanks.

Underdog_3L

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 08:03:26 AM »
Sorry guys. I was out of town all weekend. I'll make sure to reply to these posts in a little bit.