Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advice on school selection and GPA  (Read 529 times)

overcastagain

• View Profile
Advice on school selection and GPA
« on: November 08, 2007, 06:28:09 PM »

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on school selection and GPA
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 06:49:17 PM »
While you certainly can't assume that they will give your GPA the boost to 3.92, they will look at your application differently than a normal straight out of UG 3.5.  My advice would be to expand your On par/reach list a bit as non-trad applicantions are harder to predict soley by the numbers, though I'm sure you'll get in to a few on the Onpar list. 

As far as IP goes, what type are you looking at doing?  I ask because I don't think an information systems degree will allow you to sit for the patent bar.

lauralaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 07:08:48 PM »
you don't need to be an engineer to sit for the patent bar. my boyfriend does IP law and he took the patent bar.  his UG is english. 

however, you can take the patent bar if you are NOT a jd if you ARE an engineer, thereby making you a patent agent.

if you have a jd, then you are an atty who is also a patent agent. you would be able to be a patent agent in any state without having to retake, as opposed to the regular bar.

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 07:51:24 PM »
you don't need to be an engineer to sit for the patent bar. my boyfriend does IP law and he took the patent bar.  his UG is english. 

You don't have to be an engineer or have a science bachelor's as there are a number of ways to qualify one's self to sit for the patent bar but you do have to meet certain requirements either from science coursework taken or through a practical technical background.   
This is true for potential agents and attorneys.

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 08:10:15 PM »
I imagine so, and if you do get into the patent arena you could probably pull together enough qualifying science credits from your few degrees to qualify.  It'll just be a bit more of a pain in the butt than normal.  While I have friends that love patent prosecution, after a few years in IP I personally would rather litigate or do IP management type work once I get my JD.