Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Colorism as Personal Statement  (Read 2843 times)

t1016

• View Profile
Colorism as Personal Statement
« on: November 08, 2007, 04:50:25 PM »
I am just starting to write my personal statements and I have a number of ways that I can go. But wanted to now if it is inappropriate to discuss my encounters with and views on colorism and how it has impacted me? I don't want to discuss a topic the many readers may not understand but I am trying to find one that is out of the box. Any help will be appreciated!

Miracles and  Blessings!

doubledown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Colorism as Personal Statement
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 05:22:41 PM »
I am just starting to write my personal statements and I have a number of ways that I can go. But wanted to now if it is inappropriate to discuss my encounters with and views on colorism and how it has impacted me? I don't want to discuss a topic the many readers may not understand but I am trying to find one that is out of the box. Any help will be appreciated!

By colorism, do you mean different shades of black/brown?

t1016

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 05:49:24 PM »
exactly..referring to the light skinned vs dark skin phenomenon..
Miracles and  Blessings!

bakongo

• HLS 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 06:14:52 PM »
I believe that your topic is interesting and can make for a good PS if you can write about it clearly.  I was sort of in the same place when I started my PS: writing about a very personal and complex experience. It took me some months and 10 versions but I reached the point where I conveyed what I wanted to. Just start writing and good luck!

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 05:16:29 AM »
ah...finally...

truthful p.o....good luck!
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

t1016

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 09:52:09 AM »
thanks! I wanted to write about a topic that would stand out from the pack, but didn't want to lose my audience..
Miracles and  Blessings!

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 03:26:30 PM »
*scratches head on this one*

The bulk of your Admissions Council folx are gonna be of the Caucasian Persuasion. How many of them really understand the whole "Light v. Dark" "Jiggaboo v. Wannabe" dichotomy between people of color?

I think your PS should focus on telling a simple story that ANYBODY could understand. If you were writing a thesis paper on the topic, then that'd be cool, but you really ain't tryin' to educate anybody within' those 2 pages (Double spaced) that you have to write.
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 11:11:31 AM »
 :D .. i'm still @ a point where i am trying to understand why so many people are choosing to focus on being black or in this case light v dark phenomenon as their ps.. you're blk.. i get it... but that isn't your life story.. being blk isn't what makes u want to be an attorney...

personally I think that if you want to write about the impact of colorism it would be better used for a Master's program or Doctoral program.. it's more of a sociological theme than legal...

The bulk of your Admissions Council folx are gonna be of the Caucasian Persuasion. How many of them really understand the whole "Light v. Dark" "Jiggaboo v. Wannabe" dichotomy between people of color?

I think your PS should focus on telling a simple story that ANYBODY could understand. If you were writing a thesis paper on the topic, then that'd be cool, but you really ain't tryin' to educate anybody within' those 2 pages (Double spaced) that you have to right.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 05:26:21 PM »

it's not inappropriate. if it's an important issue for you, write  about it.  but your ps doesn't necesssarily have to be "out-of-the-box"; it should be about what you'd most like them to know about you.

A law review article isn't an good comparison for a personal statement.  In fact, a "scholarly" style or topic is probably closer to a "don't" for a ps.  I think blk and tru are right, that it's more suited to a venue where they'd actually care about colorism or at least know what it is.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 07:12:50 PM »

Agreed.  I would go with another topic myself...
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?