Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: laptop gaming in lecture halls  (Read 3086 times)

jgruber

Re: laptop gaming in lecture halls
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2004, 03:44:07 PM »
Well, from this old man who cries everytime a dollar is spent...

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2004, 04:54:37 PM »
People certainly do the things that are discussed here. I was surprised to see it when I visited my first law school class. My next thought was "why do they ask prospective students to sit in the back? If the admissions committee knew what was going in the classrooms, they'd have a special *front* row for people sitting in on the classes..."

Remember, in many cases, undergrads are wasting their parents' money when they blow off classes. Yes, I know a lot of people pay for their own education, but at elite schools, that's rarely the case (not just because the students tend to be wealthier, but because many have requirements that students not work beyond a certain number of hours a wekk). I was certainly guilty of it a lot as an undergrad, but now that I will be the one paying, I have full intention of attending every class I can and paying full attention.

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2004, 07:35:50 PM »
I too have seen the legendary solitaire brigade... But there is one thing in mind, most law professors like to hear themselves talk, at least the ones I have heard, and there is at least 20 minutes of complete BABBLING for every 5 minutes of useful information and 5 minutes of class discussion.

I have sat in property law classes, where the instructor just RAMBLES aimlessly, and then says...'so to sum up, here are the different theories of what constitutes posession', everyone switches screens and takes notes....

Then again if they stuck to what was necessary information, law school would take 2 years instead of 3....

But since they call it a JD, it HAS to be 3 years!

toiysam

• MSN Messenger - toiysam@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • 2LawSchool
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2004, 10:52:34 AM »
There is this really great table tennis game in miniclip. I think it is great for classes.
you can play it agains another person in the same classes. not that would be great.

visit my weblog.
www.2lawschool.blog-city.com

jgruber

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2004, 09:48:59 AM »

Then again if they stuck to what was necessary information, law school would take 2 years instead of 3....

But since they call it a JD, it HAS to be 3 years!

I just finished reading One L by Scott Turow.  Toward the end of the book, he mentions a group that was trying to suggest ways to improve law school.  One of their suggestions was to reduce it to two years.  That was in 1976.   :)

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2004, 11:30:19 AM »
I agree with them.  I actually heard a story which I do not know is true, that Law school used to be a regular 'vocational' school, similar to nursing school.  You just could just pass entrance tests from high school and go.

But in the 50's alot of lawyers working for the government werent getting paid well, because government pay scales listed their degrees as a Bachelors... BL, bachelor of law or something similar.  PhDs made alot more money.

So the ABA decided to turn the law school degree into a JD... which requires 3 years of classes (Most PhD programs are 3 years of class time, 2 years of private research), required a Bachelors degree to get in, and retroactively awarded JDs to all law school graduates, thereby increasing their pay if they worked for the Government.

Which is why law school has to be 3 years... or they couldnt call it a JD.  It would have to be a JM or something.

Can anyone verify if this is true?

jgruber

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2004, 12:57:36 PM »
Kinda like plumbers.   :D

I agree with them.  I actually heard a story which I do not know is true, that Law school used to be a regular 'vocational' school, similar to nursing school.  You just could just pass entrance tests from high school and go.

But in the 50's alot of lawyers working for the government werent getting paid well, because government pay scales listed their degrees as a Bachelors... BL, bachelor of law or something similar.  PhDs made alot more money.

So the ABA decided to turn the law school degree into a JD... which requires 3 years of classes (Most PhD programs are 3 years of class time, 2 years of private research), required a Bachelors degree to get in, and retroactively awarded JDs to all law school graduates, thereby increasing their pay if they worked for the Government.

Which is why law school has to be 3 years... or they couldnt call it a JD.  It would have to be a JM or something.

Can anyone verify if this is true?

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2004, 03:01:11 PM »
I can verify that this:

>(Most PhD programs are 3 years of class time, 2 years of private research),

isn't true. PhD programs vary considerably. Some sciences have less than a year of classes, but 5 or more years of research, while other programs have several years of classes and research on top of that. In Archaeology, for example, the average time from Bachelor to Doctorate is about 10 years.

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2004, 03:04:51 PM »
Okay, then know any other discipline who offers a Doctrate in less than 3 years of work?

My point is that 2 year programs are considered masters degrees.

Again, its not my story, but itd be interesting to find out if it is true :)