Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: laptop gaming in lecture halls  (Read 3089 times)

xrayspec

• View Profile
    • Email
laptop gaming in lecture halls
« on: March 16, 2004, 01:00:29 PM »
I have now visited a few law school classes and the amount of non-note-taking activity happening on laptops is really quite remarkable. Solitaire seems to be the #1 selection, though I've also seen a full-screen basketball game, various email, a wedding registry, on and on ...

My favorite was the woman who was typing EVERY WORD the professor said while he was speaking, then as soon as a student opened his/her mouth, she brought up the solitaire screen, the window labeled "FreeCell Game #15042".

Anyways, I recommend to everyone that you sit in the back row to best observe laptop culture.

jgruber

Re: laptop gaming in lecture halls
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 01:30:22 PM »
And how much are these students paying for the privelege of ignoring the teacher?

:-\

andywp8

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.2, 165 LSAT, going to Loyola w/full ride
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 02:39:05 PM »
i sat in on one class and saw some laptop gaming as well.  A lot of solitaire

xrayspec

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 02:42:55 PM »
to be fair, ignoring the teacher is a time-honored tradition. All the laptop has done is offer new alternatives to doodling & napping.

Victor

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2004, 04:34:44 PM »
Yeah I saw some laptop gaming going on. I sat in the back and saw everyones screen. I saw the PinBall game instead of solitare.

But one thing I should mention, walking into class late in law school is different than college. In law school if you come in 5 minutes late its a big deal and the professors will not allow it.

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 07:39:46 AM »
Solitaire is definitely the game of choice at my law school.  It's mindless yet engaging - and it can be quickly minimized to jot down something important. 

Now that many schools have internet hookups - instant messaging has become popular as well.

Yes, the back row will get you a great view of other people's time wasting techniques, but the front row, my friends, allows you to demonstrate your gaming expertise.  What if you get a perfect score on this mini-putt game?  Who will see it to bow to you in awe after class?

It's important to make a statement with your computer.

Lovin1L

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 08:27:13 AM »
I have to admit, seeing people playing games on their laptop in the middle of class used to kind of tick me off, I just kind of think it was rude. But low and behold, it was outdone by the girl who would actually answer her phone in the middle of class and then fake having to go to the bathroom to go out into the hall to finish the conversation.

jgruber

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 01:46:00 PM »
Geez.  You'd think people seeking advanced degrees could do better than solitaire.  At least spades or hearts!   ;)

jgruber

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2004, 02:27:52 PM »
I've been reading One L by Scott Turow and this discussion touches on some things he said about people skipping classs and tuning out during class.

Do people really pay tens of thousands of dollars to go to top law schools to play solitare and such?

Come on.  You must be pulling my leg.

Anti_Ivy

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2004, 02:42:55 PM »
Do people really pay tens of thousands of dollars to go to top law schools to play solitare and such?

Come on.  You must be pulling my leg.

I must answer your question with a series of questions followed by a semi-sarcastic response/question. 

Did you know anyone in college who:

- Tuned out in class? 

- Skipped class? 

- Came to class late/left class early?

- Paid "tens of thousands of dollars" to attend college?

If people do any and all of the above while attending college, what makes you think that people won't continue the same habits in law school?