Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Emory Law Implodes, Becomes Infinitely Dense Mass of TTT-Dom  (Read 9971 times)

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: Emory Law Implodes, Becomes Infinitely Dense Mass of TTT-Dom
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 08:58:35 PM »
This is really not a huge deal
I would even venture to say that this is one of the better times this could happen
I would assume their OCI is long over, and 1Ls do a lot of their own job searching.
The director's biggest time of the year is probably over the summer, coordinating various interview sessions and getting new employers to come to the school.  This honestly might be as convenient a time as any to peace-out
Now, it was kind of abrupt, this is true, but maybe there was a just a great opportunity somewhere else that this dean wanted to jump on
Also, don't forget to read the dean of the law school's response, which was sent directly to David Lat, showing just how much influence this guy is starting to build.
http://www.abovethelaw.com/2007/11/whats_going_on_at_emory_law_sc_1.php#more

hola, bamf. Whatcha thinking about doing this summer?

whats up buddy, hows sunny california?

not too sure if I have a preference for summer jobs at this point, I'm just going to apply to a bunch of different things ... not positive if I want to do environmental law-type stuff or securities and anti-trust type stuff.  how about you?

I'm not positive, but I think I'm going to start off by applying for federal judicial externships. Unfortunately that means having to be ready to send out resumes December 1st. So I guess that's why it's on my mind at the moment... along with everything else.

Yeah I'm thinking about applying for some of those ... but the CSO people were scary when they hammered home the point that "if you get an offer from a judge you must accept it" and I don't know if I'm committed to the idea at this point ... do you think you're going to focus on the west coast or just hit up major districts across the states?
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 09:14:19 PM »
This is really not a huge deal
I would even venture to say that this is one of the better times this could happen
I would assume their OCI is long over, and 1Ls do a lot of their own job searching.
The director's biggest time of the year is probably over the summer, coordinating various interview sessions and getting new employers to come to the school.  This honestly might be as convenient a time as any to peace-out
Now, it was kind of abrupt, this is true, but maybe there was a just a great opportunity somewhere else that this dean wanted to jump on
Also, don't forget to read the dean of the law school's response, which was sent directly to David Lat, showing just how much influence this guy is starting to build.
http://www.abovethelaw.com/2007/11/whats_going_on_at_emory_law_sc_1.php#more

hola, bamf. Whatcha thinking about doing this summer?

whats up buddy, hows sunny california?

not too sure if I have a preference for summer jobs at this point, I'm just going to apply to a bunch of different things ... not positive if I want to do environmental law-type stuff or securities and anti-trust type stuff.  how about you?

I'm not positive, but I think I'm going to start off by applying for federal judicial externships. Unfortunately that means having to be ready to send out resumes December 1st. So I guess that's why it's on my mind at the moment... along with everything else.

Yeah I'm thinking about applying for some of those ... but the CSO people were scary when they hammered home the point that "if you get an offer from a judge you must accept it" and I don't know if I'm committed to the idea at this point ... do you think you're going to focus on the west coast or just hit up major districts across the states?

Well, that's the problem isn't it? I'd like to stay in LA just so i don't have to worry about subletting and stuff, but I could easily go back to Texas and do it. Unfortunately, I'm not really in Texas long enough to interview.

If a judge offers me a job early, I'm hardly going to turn it down. Yes, there might be something greener out there, but there's a much bigger chance that there's not, and having the job in hand would be worth the chance that there's not.

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 12:07:05 AM »
tag
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

whartonn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2007, 03:10:30 PM »
Any updates on this?

gclemen1

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2007, 09:45:56 AM »
Im sure Emory has been working hard at correcting the problem.  They are a great school, and a little problem like this really won't affect things in the long run!

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2007, 08:30:30 PM »
Im sure Emory has been working hard at correcting the problem.  They are a great school, and a little problem like this really won't affect things in the long run!

With that uneducated and blind optimism, I'm sure you are totally right! Half-glass-full for Emory Law in 2008!
Air Force JAG Corps

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2007, 01:42:15 AM »
lol @ esq

iLukeisamazing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2007, 11:07:43 PM »

With that uneducated and blind optimism, I'm sure you are totally right! Half-glass-full for Emory Law in 2008!

It's a tried and true joke, but it still rings true... What's your favorite Gin Blossoms song? Hey Jealousy?

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2007, 11:22:28 PM »
Dear Emory,

I do not care if you are TTT right now.  Just accept me.

Thanks.

!!!
Michigan 2L

Eveman in Ingmarland

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2007, 01:45:49 AM »
Although I would say, based on the links in the thread, that Emory Law's administration is pretty clearly dysfunctional, I don't know how exceptional this situation is...

Most universities are run very inefficiently, mostly do to a lack of oversight.

Notice how the dean, in his response, used words like we and our and Emory in addressing the steps being taken to fix problems that, realistically, are his responsibility.

This is very common, circling-the-wagons behavior that you frequently see from people who work in poorly operating systems... I'd be surprised if he sincerely thinks there's anything wrong.

Also, note how administration wasn't even willing to explain why it could not explain the departure of the career services dean... this is standard-issue assumption of secrecy. It shows up a lot when people in the office lose perspective, and get it in their heads that lame internal politics are a matter of national security.

Again, though, this is nothing you don't see when you try to get your car registered at the DMV. It's just crappy bureaucracy... it's bad and wastes money, but the law school can probably still function.