Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Emory Law Implodes, Becomes Infinitely Dense Mass of TTT-Dom  (Read 10088 times)

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
Re: Emory Law Implodes, Becomes Infinitely Dense Mass of TTT-Dom
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 11:03:40 PM »
This is really not a huge deal
I would even venture to say that this is one of the better times this could happen
I would assume their OCI is long over, and 1Ls do a lot of their own job searching.
The director's biggest time of the year is probably over the summer, coordinating various interview sessions and getting new employers to come to the school.  This honestly might be as convenient a time as any to peace-out
Now, it was kind of abrupt, this is true, but maybe there was a just a great opportunity somewhere else that this dean wanted to jump on
Also, don't forget to read the dean of the law school's response, which was sent directly to David Lat, showing just how much influence this guy is starting to build.
http://www.abovethelaw.com/2007/11/whats_going_on_at_emory_law_sc_1.php#more

hola, bamf. Whatcha thinking about doing this summer?

tankbrain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 11:20:38 PM »
It seems like a lot of alumni are pissed too.

The dean's response doesn't really help things much either. It was pretty hollow.
LSAT: 165
GPA:  3.4

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 08:38:30 AM »
tag

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 09:37:23 AM »
Whoever writes that blog has far too much free time. People resign their jobs all the time to pursue new opportunities. No one is owed any explanation. When you resign a job, all you need to do is give notice. You don't need to share the reasons why.

It's never a good time to lose a team member, but it's not like the entire Career Services Department shut down. They acted quickly to reassign the Dean's advisees to other counselors and appointed an interim dean who had experience in the department.

I don't think Emory will be imploding any time soon.

I do agree that the representatives of law schools going to the LSAC recruitment sessions need better training in public relations, however.
Vanderbilt 2010

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 12:17:18 PM »
I would even venture to say that this is one of the better times this could happen
I would assume their OCI is long over, and 1Ls do a lot of their own job searching.
The director's biggest time of the year is probably over the summer, coordinating various interview sessions and getting new employers to come to the school.  This honestly might be as convenient a time as any to peace-out
Now, it was kind of abrupt, this is true, but maybe there was a just a great opportunity somewhere else that this dean wanted to jump on
Also, don't forget to read the dean of the law school's response, which was sent directly to David Lat, showing just how much influence this guy is starting to build.

whats up buddy, hows sunny california?

not too sure if I have a preference for summer jobs at this point, I'm just going to apply to a bunch of different things ... not positive if I want to do environmental law-type stuff or securities and anti-trust type stuff.  how about you?
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

. . . . . .

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 12:25:52 PM »
interesting stuff here

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 12:38:15 PM »
Whoever writes that blog has far too much free time. People resign their jobs all the time to pursue new opportunities. No one is owed any explanation. When you resign a job, all you need to do is give notice. You don't need to share the reasons why.

are you talking about Above the Law? You do realize that the blog is his job, right?
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 01:05:42 PM »

are you talking about Above the Law? You do realize that the blog is his job, right?

David Lat is the EIC of Above the Law.
He graduated PBK from Harvard and then Yale Law. Then a 9th Circuit Clerk. Then he was an associate with Wachtell. Then an AUSA.

He's probably got a handle on the blog. 
Air Force JAG Corps

tankbrain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 01:42:27 PM »

David Lat is the EIC of Above the Law.
He graduated PBK from Harvard and then Yale Law. Then a 9th Circuit Clerk. Then he was an associate with Wachtell. Then an AUSA.

He's probably got a handle on the blog.  

Well said. Also, on an interesting albeit unscientific note, Above the Law just won the 2007 Weblog award for best law blog.
LSAT: 165
GPA:  3.4

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 05:14:38 PM »

whats up buddy, hows sunny california?

not too sure if I have a preference for summer jobs at this point, I'm just going to apply to a bunch of different things ... not positive if I want to do environmental law-type stuff or securities and anti-trust type stuff.  how about you?

I'm not positive, but I think I'm going to start off by applying for federal judicial externships. Unfortunately that means having to be ready to send out resumes December 1st. So I guess that's why it's on my mind at the moment... along with everything else.