Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I'm not sure if I should take a class  (Read 458 times)

XYF

• View Profile
I'm not sure if I should take a class
« on: November 07, 2007, 05:04:58 AM »
I took the September LSAT and got a 165. This I got from reading through the PS Logic Games Bible (doing about 80% of its problems) and doing three practice tests (scoring somewhere between 160 and 170 on each try). On the real LSAT I got -5 for LG, -4 for LR, -2 for RC, and -5 for LR. This is worse that what I was getting for LR (average -3), but better than what I was getting for LG (average -8). I plan to retake in February and am shooting for mid-170s.

What is the best thing I can do at this point? Keep taking practice tests? Or should I take a class? (Yes, I lack a slight bit of self-discipline, and hence did not practice as much as I should before September...) But what could the test teach me that I do not already know?

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I'm not sure if I should take a class
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 09:24:13 AM »
The importance of practice cannot be overstated. You must practice practice practice, especially if you aren't getting every question right on games, all the time.

I went through the LGB twice, did 19 practice tests in testing environment, and took another 12-15 practice tests broken up into sections. (over 11 weeks)

Do the games over and over and over. The games can be the difference.

I don't know about a class, I didn't take one. But I had plenty of discipline to study 15 hours/week.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 09:33:08 AM »
I agree with saradsun, that practice and study is vital.  However, I lacked the discipline to study much longer than a few hours a week.  Taking the class required me to do several hours of LSAT work a day just to keep up with the homework.  I was fortunate enough to have parents who offered to pay for the class, which of course made it much more practical, but I know I could not have motivated myself to study that much if not for the class (and the thought of how expensive it would be to be registered for it and not do any of the work).
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

Dilettante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 09:49:28 AM »
Practice makes perfect, so the real point at issue is if you can muster the discipline to study on your own. If you can't, then you should take a class. If you can, then it's optional, but someone who has access to the Powerscore books and can sometimes hit 170 probably doesn't need a class to develop skills for a 175. A class for you would be more like hiring a personal trainer, not a teacher. If that's what you need, go for it.

hort stu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 12:51:26 PM »
I strongly advise everyone to avoid the classes.  Considering your score range and how little youve practiced I would tell you it will be a complete waste of your time and might even hurt your score, at least initially.

If you read some of my other posts you will see the many reasons why I feel that courses are a waste of time but the number one reason and the one that would overwhelmingly apply to someone scoring in the 170s is this...

You will waste a lot of your valuable study time sitting through instruction on the weaknesses of others in spite of them being your strengths.  A good tutor will focus on your weaknesses.

So if you feel like you need help get the books that are recommended by most of the elites here and if you dont stabilize your score in a place you are happy with then get a tutor.

good luck

studymaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 03:02:13 AM »
I strongly advise everyone to avoid the classes.  Considering your score range and how little youve practiced I would tell you it will be a complete waste of your time and might even hurt your score, at least initially.

If you read some of my other posts you will see the many reasons why I feel that courses are a waste of time but the number one reason and the one that would overwhelmingly apply to someone scoring in the 170s is this...

You will waste a lot of your valuable study time sitting through instruction on the weaknesses of others in spite of them being your strengths.  A good tutor will focus on your weaknesses.

So if you feel like you need help get the books that are recommended by most of the elites here and if you dont stabilize your score in a place you are happy with then get a tutor.

good luck

The first line of this guys advice makes me suggest disregard every word. However he speaks sooth despite his bias. I started at a 166 for my first cold test, and Kaplan was a HUGE waste. But I did get books out of it yay for the bibliophile inside.
It is whispered that soon, if we all heed the call, the piper will lead us to reason.

hort stu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 02:55:31 PM »
The first line of this guys advice makes me suggest disregard every word.

Care to elaborate on that?