Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: George Washington Full Scholarship  (Read 11023 times)

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
Re: George Washington Full Scholarship
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 10:23:06 PM »
Oh wow, they really changed up the scholarship for next years group, offering it ED. I wonder how it will go. I think most people would want to take their chances and see where else they get in and what they get offered before committing, unless it's not binding. Guess they're trying to gauge how many people will take it ahead of time. Maybe more of us accepted than they realized would?

So are they not offering housing as part of the deal? That was kind of the deciding factor for me.

Ms. Hedgehog

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 11:32:43 PM »
This is from the GW Website

"Applicants who are certain that The George Washington University Law School is the right law school for them and who wish to be considered for a full-tuition GW Law Presidential Merit Scholarship may choose to apply through the Binding Early Admission/Presidential Merit Scholarship Program.

Applicants admitted through this early admission program will be awarded a three-year full-tuition scholarship and will also be assigned a GW Law faculty mentor."

Does this mean you have to 1)apply as ED and 2) apply for the Presidential Merit Scholarship? From this description, I am not sure if getting in by ED gaurantees the scholarship. Does it?
Also, is this true for the part-time division?

If so, yeah, that's hell of a good deal....

GW3L

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007, 10:51:50 AM »
apparently tuition at gw law is going to eclipse 40g next year. seems like a bit much (for a legal education at any law school outside of the top 10) given the state of the market.

of course, a full ride offer would help in that dept. ;)

Ilovecheese

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007, 12:41:52 PM »
it's ranked 2 or 3 in IP.  HOwever, nobody really cares about that.  I work in IP as a non-lawyer and can tell you that top firms don't really consider the IP ranking. 

Having said that, even though everybody says it "doesn't matter" everybody knows about it in DC.

i really doubt many people consider those rankings. firms care about the overall prestige of a school.  I think pace has the #1 environmental law program, but there are very few pace grads at top firms.

jason_perrlx

• Sr. Citizen
  • Betrayed by Dot. Plotting revenge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2007, 01:57:45 PM »
it's ranked 2 or 3 in IP.  HOwever, nobody really cares about that.  I work in IP as a non-lawyer and can tell you that top firms don't really consider the IP ranking. 

Having said that, even though everybody says it "doesn't matter" everybody knows about it in DC.

i really doubt many people consider those rankings. firms care about the overall prestige of a school.  I think pace has the #1 environmental law program, but there are very few pace grads at top firms.

That's been my experience too. 

GW3L

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2007, 02:28:17 PM »
yeah i'm an IP guy

no one cares about the IP ranking

employers only seem to care about two things: 1) overall ranking (USNWR - we dropped out of the t20 last year, sucks), and 2) the school's average admitted LSAT

other than that, it doesn't really matter. certainly don't let things like speciality influence your decision. they're nonfactors.

lauralaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2007, 12:26:47 PM »
i took my own advice and emailed the school.
so here it is for sure that ED acceptance means full ride.

To be clear, all applicants who are accepted through Early Decision program will receive a full-tuition scholarship automatically.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Best,
Matt Dillard
Admissions Counselor
mdillard@law.gwu.edu
---- Original message ----
- Hide quoted text -

Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 11:31:47 -0500
    Subject: Regarding the Early Decision app
    To: "GWU Law - JD Admissions" <jdadmit@law.gwu.edu>
    >Hello -
    >
    >Could you please clarify the Early Decision/Full Scholarship details?
    >
    >If an applicant is accepted through the ED program, is that applicant
    >automatically given the Pres Merit scholarship?
    >Or is an applicant accepted through the ED program and then considered
    >separately for the scholarship?
    >
    >It is not quite clear from the website and application info what the
    >case is. In one part is says "who wish to be considered" and in
    >another part says "will be awarded".
    >
    >Thanks,
    >

J.D. Admissions
The George Washington University Law School
700 20th Street, N.W., Ground Floor
Washington, DC 20052
Tel: 202-994-7230
Fax: 202-994-3597

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2007, 12:49:50 PM »
How much stricter do you think the acceptance criteria is?
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

Eveman in Ingmarland

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2007, 12:51:53 PM »
How much stricter do you think the acceptance criteria is?

What difference does it make? If they don't accept you ED, they'll just kick your application back into the regular decision pool. There's not much to lose... unless you're not sure about going to GW.

Ms. Hedgehog

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2007, 12:56:50 PM »
Well, I'm thinking that people who apply ED are usually those who are below, or just at the median range for both LSAT and GPA. If you have the numbers that are strong enough, chances are you will be offered a scholarship from many places.

My guess is that they are trying to "stock' their acceptance pool with students with higher numbers, before they start the regular admission process. So it will probably be more competitive than usual.