Law School Discussion

"Embellishing" much on your applications?

qt314

• pi = 3.14, k?
    • View Profile
    • bluewords
Re: "Embellishing" much on your applications?
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 01:45:03 PM »
I am very close with one of my recommendors who also happens to be a well-respected judge.  He told me last week that one of the schools I had applied to had sent him a heads-up type postcard letting him know that a letter of recommendation had been submitted for my file under his name.  I guess it was something one of the schools had done to verify the recommendor really sent the letters.  It only asked him to reply if he didn't send the letter.

Just thought that was interesting.  Obviously they check certain things here and there.

I was 100% honest to the best of my knowledge on all of my applications.  I didn't want to risk it.  I would rather be dinged by a law school than denied by the Bar.

wow. that's awesome though. i kinda hope that law schools verify some of the ECs i listed because they sound a bit crazy and i don't want people to think i made it up.

i UNDER-embellished a bit though - a lot of my resume doesn't really help for LS and was more for med school, so i left a lot out and fit my resume onto 1 page. does that constitute lying (i.e., not providing the whole truth)? when i sent in the resumes, i didn't think it mattered, but now i'm getting paranoid about what consititutes full honesty...

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 09:41:57 PM »
Most admissions counselors can probably call shenanigans on your crappy mail-opening internship for a legislator where you try to pretend that you wrote all of his speeches and legislation.  And there's always "google" for the random spot-check. 

There's at least a decent chance you'll get dinged and wonder forever if that was why.

rsr28

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 09:55:23 PM »
I am very close with one of my recommendors who also happens to be a well-respected judge.  He told me last week that one of the schools I had applied to had sent him a heads-up type postcard letting him know that a letter of recommendation had been submitted for my file under his name.  I guess it was something one of the schools had done to verify the recommendor really sent the letters.  It only asked him to reply if he didn't send the letter.

Just thought that was interesting.  Obviously they check certain things here and there.

I was 100% honest to the best of my knowledge on all of my applications.  I didn't want to risk it.  I would rather be dinged by a law school than denied by the Bar.

wow. that's awesome though. i kinda hope that law schools verify some of the ECs i listed because they sound a bit crazy and i don't want people to think i made it up.

i UNDER-embellished a bit though - a lot of my resume doesn't really help for LS and was more for med school, so i left a lot out and fit my resume onto 1 page. does that constitute lying (i.e., not providing the whole truth)? when i sent in the resumes, i didn't think it mattered, but now i'm getting paranoid about what consititutes full honesty...

In my field anything over a 1-page resume is borderline unacceptable.  It's only lying if they specifically ask for ALL of your employment history (I think Berkeley does this).  Fortunately mine (barely) fits onto one page right now with all my employment which is nice but (hopefully!!) that won't last a long time.

So, in short, one page resume is good in my book even if you leave somethings out (with the exceptions mentioned above).

qt314

• pi = 3.14, k?
    • View Profile
    • bluewords
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 11:42:03 AM »

In my field anything over a 1-page resume is borderline unacceptable.  It's only lying if they specifically ask for ALL of your employment history (I think Berkeley does this).  Fortunately mine (barely) fits onto one page right now with all my employment which is nice but (hopefully!!) that won't last a long time.

So, in short, one page resume is good in my book even if you leave somethings out (with the exceptions mentioned above).

cool. i think most of my app instructions just said "submit resume" and didn't really specify further...