Law School Discussion

"Embellishing" much on your applications?

"Embellishing" much on your applications?
« on: November 06, 2007, 11:50:12 AM »
I'm assuming that a lot of people embellish just a little on their personal statements. Am I wrong here? How about the rest of the applications? What's to keep everyone in check and from outright lying on their applications?
I'm not saying I want to, but I was just curious.

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
Re: "Embellishing" much on your applications?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 12:10:46 PM »
I didn't.. you risk too much if you get caught. That being said, I am not 100% sure about the date I left one job so my resume may not be 100% correct, or it might be ... but thats the only thing that isnt squeeky clean about me on the apps.

What's to keep everyone in check and from outright lying on their applications?

Not being admitted to the Bar.

Pam Beesly

• Oh, Jim.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 12:18:44 PM »
What's to keep everyone in check and from outright lying on their applications?

A shred of integrity. Ditto not being admitted to the bar. Having all your acceptances revoked.

I'm not sure how far they go with background checks either, and I'm sure some people slip by without being 100% truthful in their apps. Do people maybe exaggerate a little to make themselves seem like a better candidate? Sure. Go ahead and accentuate the positive, but don't lie or withold important information.

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 11:39:04 PM »
Please don't get the wrong idea, guys. I was merely wondering what keeps other people honest. I've only noticed maybe one application (Boalt) that says it audits random students, so I was wondering how prevalent these background checks are. What can they really check, anyway? The only thing you could lie about would be WE, which would be easy to check. I think volunteer work would be pretty difficult. Just thinking aloud, I suppose.
Let me say this one more time: FOR THE RECORD, I HAVE NO INTENTIONS OF LYING ON MY APPLICATIONS.

iLukeisamazing

• Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 07:37:32 AM »
Move along folks, nothing to see here!

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 07:59:39 AM »
I'm assuming that a lot of people embellish just a little on their personal statements. Am I wrong here? How about the rest of the applications? What's to keep everyone in check and from outright lying on their applications?

Hopefully the same thing that will make you be loyal to your clients etc. Think it's called integrity.

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 03:01:37 PM »
I'm actually under embellishing on questions that I'm wishy-washy about.  Like on UCLA it asks how long you've lived in a single-parent household.  Well my parents divorced when I was 5, I lived with my mom and she never remarried.  So I'd say 16 (11+ was the UCLA option).  But I opted for 6-10 years b/c my mom had boyfriends on and off during this time.  Could I have said 11+ and meant it?  Yes.  But I under-fudged b/c I didn't want to look like I was trying to wring the application of all the points it was worth.

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 12:25:43 PM »
A humble straightforwardness will serve you better than exageration.  You're not applying to business school here, and law schools don't give a damn whether your frisbee team is varsity-level or whether you licked envelopes as a "senior campaign intern" or just a "campaign volunteer."  The emphasis on your resume should be on what you learned, rather than what you did.

TallisUmbras

• The Doors of Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 01:45:41 PM »
A humble straightforwardness will serve you better than exageration.  You're not applying to business school here, and law schools don't give a damn whether your frisbee team is varsity-level or whether you licked envelopes as a "senior campaign intern" or just a "campaign volunteer."  The emphasis on your resume should be on what you learned, rather than what you did.

Couldn't agree more. I am actually emphasizing a distinctly UNimportant role during a rather important national campaign to develop a contrast with applicants I think are trying to embellish their records in order to get into prestigious schools. I want to show what I learned as opposed to what I did because I think the majority of applicants with a PS like mine tend to inflate their own sense of self-importance. We'll see how it works...

just dot

• I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 06:57:20 PM »
I am very close with one of my recommendors who also happens to be a well-respected judge.  He told me last week that one of the schools I had applied to had sent him a heads-up type postcard letting him know that a letter of recommendation had been submitted for my file under his name.  I guess it was something one of the schools had done to verify the recommendor really sent the letters.  It only asked him to reply if he didn't send the letter.

Just thought that was interesting.  Obviously they check certain things here and there.

I was 100% honest to the best of my knowledge on all of my applications.  I didn't want to risk it.  I would rather be dinged by a law school than denied by the Bar.