Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: "Family Law": General discussion for 0L's with spouses and/or children  (Read 4381 times)

azoraraine

• View Profile
Re: "Family Law": General discussion for 0L's with spouses and/or children
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 04:30:45 PM »
Saradsun,

Wow, I can hardly see you through the glare of that LSAT score.  Well done - and with all those kids!  I took it last year when the twins were still infants, after just going through the LG bible - and scored a disappointing 161.  I am signed up for the Dec test, and don't really need to take it again, but may just to see if all the practice I did over the last year will raise my score at all.  Closure or something.  If If hell freezes over and I break 170, I'm going to seriously consider Boalt;-).  I can study on the train.  Do you think the bright young things at Berkeley will mind a couple of two year olds playing under their desks during Civil Procedure?  LOL!

The first year was hell, but after I got rid of the extra baby (ex), it was actually easier to have two at the same stage.  It's the freaking nature channel at my house.  They are all boys, and are like a litter of tasmanian devils most of the time.

I am looking forward to school.  Words with more than one syllable.  Woo!  Doesn't look like you need luck with getting into schools, but good luck with the balance thing and all that.  My personal feeling is that anyone who has had three under four and survived need not fear much in life.  Not that it will be a cakewalk, but my idea of what constitutes a challenge very different than it was before I had the kids.  You get very good at organization and compartmentalization, or you drown.

S

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 12:33:23 PM »
Wow.  After reading this thread I'm amazed at what some of you are willing/able to do in order to make this dream come true.  I sure hope that I can keep up!

I should have copied the questions but I'll do my best to answer them from memory.

First, I am married and my husband isn't very willing to move.  We've discussed the possibility and it is still an option but I have mixed feelings about it, too.  I have a very strong support-system here and it would be very difficult to move my entire family (my husband's job isn't so portable) to somewhere that I had no help and knew no one.  I'm really trying to get into UF law school so I don't have to worry about it.  I'm going to wait and see.

My children are 4 and 18 months.  I've been in school since my 4 year old was 4 months old so I'm pretty used to the routine of fitting in study-time.  It is difficult, though.  There are many nights that I stay up late studying or completing an assignment because it is the only quiet time I have.  I manage because it is important and I feel that my education will benefit my entire family.

I know for 100% certain that I could not have succeeded in law school before I had children.  I was undiciplined and lazy before I had kids.  Having them has put everything in perspective and made me a much stronger person who now finds out what she wants and goes after it. 
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 01:17:31 PM »
Thanks azoraraine. :) Somehow I missed this reply. Well, it was a lot easier for me, with 5 kids, 3 of who are teens, than it would be for someone with JUST toddler/preschoolers. I had built in babysitters and I used them! Plus, once a week I assigned one teen to cook, so I used the 4-6 time for studying. I did do a lot of managing though. With 5 kids, scheduling and managing are definitely two of my strongest skills.

Boalt, yeah. If I don't get into one of the top three, cause really, who could resist that, Boalt is definitely my first choice after that. Good luck on your retake!

dotlyn, I'm sure you'll get into UF. This waiting to hear after apps are sent in is a bear!

azoraraine

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 04:31:44 PM »
Dotlyn,

I'm sure you'll get in.  I know someone who got in here at Davis with a similar GPA and a 167 (Davis is pretty competitive - top 30, and my pipe dream if the LSAC doesn't mess up my grades and/or I score higher in December).  167 is awesome (jealous).

Saradsun,

Oh, geez, I thought you had three little ones and two big.  Didn't mean to be patting my own back up there, lol.  I have friends with teenagers, and no matter how much they help out, I'm sure you still deserve some medals draped over your shoulders for getting all your apps in.  I'm still vacillating about whether to try for UC-Davis, and using that to justify putting off going another round with my PS.

My sister is doing a PhD at Berkeley, and her ex graduated from Boalt a couple years ago.  It's a very friendly school, I think.  My sister (a scientist) was always grumbling about all the free time her friend had - and she went on to get a job at a big firm in NYC, so she wasn't slacking off or anything;-).

S

1Jenne

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 09:37:30 AM »
I am a single mother with a four year old daughter.  We currently live in the Virgin Islands, where she attends the most prestigious private school on island and I work as a social worker for the government.  I have a bachelors in psychology that I completed during my preganancy.  I never stopped attending school altough I had lots of struggles.

I am now ready to go to law school but I will need to relocate to the mainland.  I have a couple of concerns.  We are used to a good lifestyle, warm weather and a small community.  I am afraid to relocate with her and she does not have a good life.  On the other hand, I know that things are getting more expensive and I am getting lazy.  I want to start law school as soon as possible to ensure that I don't lose my motivation.  I want to provide a nice life for my daughter as she already likes nice things and fun activities.  I want to move to a place where we can both benefit from the community and the education system.

I dont know where to start but I know that I need to relocate now so I can gain residency before I apply for school. Someone help me please. ???

azoraraine

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 11:37:43 AM »
Hi,

If you can take the LSAT while you're there, that and your GPA will give you an idea about the schools you will have a good shot at getting into.  Until you have that information, or at least an idea of how you're likely to score on the test, picking a school or area is a little premature.  Obviously, the US is big, and there are many communities with law schools in which you and your daughter would thrive.  Good luck!

bachja13

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 08:30:53 PM »
I'm a 40-something, married, no kids, house full of Goldens. We just moved, after 20 years in our previous state, to be closer to aging family members and for DH's business. Although the move itself was tough (sold a house just as the market was tanking, rented in a neighboring state for almost a year and then finally bought a house), it's turned out to be a catalyst for positive change. I fell into a great job that, ironically, turned my world upside down and led me to revisit the idea of going to law school.

I've had some interesting career experiences over the years, but I really feel like things are "clicking" now. I'm looking at several T2 part-time programs and will be spending lots of hours commuting. We could end up moving within state but I first want to make sure I'm settled into school and have made the right decision. Fortunately, my husband is extremely supportive. I'm just hoping I get in somewhere!

The whole application experience feels a little surreal. I go from moments of eager anticipation to moments of total fear, wondering what the heck I'm thinking. My younger (20s/30s) coworkers think what I'm doing is great ("Awesome!" they say.), while friends my age and older just don't get it ("Why would you do that?").

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 11:36:52 PM »
great thread...really enjoying it.  my wife and i are late starters...finishing undergrads that we started when we were 18.  we're 24 now, and won't be done until 25.  we currently live in the pac northwest, but are trying to relocate to the mid-atlantic/southeast, with harvard the obvious exception  ;)  don't really have much other than that except that we're out there with you guys, living the dream!

CandyMonster

• Sr. Citizen
  • Gimme candy!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 09:38:03 AM »
Hello, I am a non-trad also (25 y/o), married w/ one child. We are definitely planning on moving for law school. My hubby will be quitting his job and going back to school full time (ugrad). I'm am really looking forward to being able to spend more time with him (note: of course we will both be swamped w/ school work, but just being near him is enough). Our daughter will be starting 1st grade next fall.

I love being a non-trad. I'm sure we all agree that having a family has seriously matured us. Not to mention, our families serve as a built-in support system. Just having someone there to tell you that they love you and to give you a hug sometimes makes a world of difference.

All in all, we are looking forward to the move and to law school in general. Even my 5 y/o is telling ppl that I got into Yale, lol! That just goes to show you how much my whole family is immersed in this crazy law school process.  :D
2007-2008 cycle
Accepted (in order): Duke, Harvard, UMich, Yale, Cornell, UVa, UPenn
Pending: Stanford, NYU, Columbia

1rakayla

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 12:21:30 PM »
Im 25 with an 8 yr old and a baby on the way. I have been in school since my daughter was 2 so I have gotten used to studying and spending time with her. My SO is willing to move for me to go to law school but I he would rather we stay here. I have some fears of having a newborn and starting law school.  I didn't find out I was pregnant until after I took the LSAT. Although I have gotten into a couple of schools, we are considering waiting a year before leaving, although I really want to go this year. We are still trying to figure it out.