0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Second Thoughts

Maddie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Second Thoughts
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 08:07:49 AM »
As of others have said, my anxiety is all financial.  I do not have doubts about law school/being an attorney.  I am just nervous about going into so much debt!   :-\

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 08:12:52 AM »
As of others have said, my anxiety is all financial.  I do not have doubts about law school/being an attorney.  I am just nervous about going into so much debt!   :-\

do you know what kind of law you want to practice yet?  you could always lease your soul for a few years to pay off the loans.

gclemen1

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 08:19:54 AM »

I'll tell you what, I just have a feeling like I made out like a bandit taking the September Test...for some reason I feel it was a very easy test.  But for real, if I was going to cop out of law school, I would have done it before the hundreds of hours of prep, the hours of writing PS and filling out applications, the ungodly amount of hours being on this board...I just couldn't see doing all this if I wasn't 100% sure I truly wanted to go to law school.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 08:38:05 AM »
i'm considering deferring for a year more and more.  i'm not the slightest bit certain that i want to be a lawyer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6e8aOdPxhI

Maddie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 08:43:01 AM »
Haha lovebutton, that sounds more and more appealing every day.   :)

areopagite

• Nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 08:46:00 AM »
I'm not having second thoughts about law school, but rather the idea of moving. I've been in the same house for 13 years, its hard to think about leaving.

Originally, I was just going to go to a local law school, but once I started reading here, and scored well on the LSAT, I and my family decided that its worth it for me to look at moving.

We're pretty much decided to give it a go, but like on Halloween, I thought, this is the last time I'll be taking my children trick or treating in this neighborhood.

I'm in the same boat as saradsun.  I hadn't really considered law school until this summer and, at the time, I assumed I would try for one of the two local schools near my hometown.

The LSAT was a big surprise, new opportunities opened up that I had never considered and it all seemed very glamorous.  My family's behind me on this, but it will still be very hard to uproot from our neighborhood that we love.

I'm not sure that I would call it 'second thoughts', but I suspect we may have to make some tough decisions about moving in the spring and that makes me sort of nervous.

This is another concern, especially with a family.  But again, I don't think it will really complicate things until later in the cycle when financial offers are all out.

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 08:46:19 AM »

It can't really BREAK you -- anyone who's reasonably intelligent can do adequately on the exam if they put in enough time and energy. 

However, the requirements of time and energy do tend to weed out many qeustionable and uncertain candidates, which is probably a good thing.  Someone who's not willing to spend a lot of time and energy prepping (if necessary) will probably burn out in law school / practice pretty quickly.

I know people who in my opinion are very smart and would make fine lawyers, but wouldn't crack a 160 no matter the amount of prep.  Everyone has their ceilings.  I think people downplay how intelligent people that score 160 and above actually are.

papercranes

• Beer Lao. Why did I leave and come to law school?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 08:49:13 AM »

It can't really BREAK you -- anyone who's reasonably intelligent can do adequately on the exam if they put in enough time and energy. 

However, the requirements of time and energy do tend to weed out many qeustionable and uncertain candidates, which is probably a good thing.  Someone who's not willing to spend a lot of time and energy prepping (if necessary) will probably burn out in law school / practice pretty quickly.

I know people who in my opinion are very smart and would make fine lawyers, but wouldn't crack a 160 no matter the amount of prep.  Everyone has their ceilings.  I think people downplay how intelligent people that score 160 and above actually are.

none of this makes swallowing my 166 any easier. The irritating thing, I think for a lot of people (myself included) is not that they aren't capable of breaking a certain score, but rather they they did, many times, but not on the one damn day that it counted.

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 08:59:00 AM »
none of this makes swallowing my 166 any easier. The irritating thing, I think for a lot of people (myself included) is not that they aren't capable of breaking a certain score, but rather they they did, many times, but not on the one damn day that it counted.

This is so true too.  The pressure is no joke.  The first time I took the LSAT, it felt like it was over in 10 seconds and I didn't know what happened.  Even the 2nd time, it felt the same way, but I had done so much prep, I think my brain went into auto mode.

BTW, 166 is an amazing score.  That's over the 95th of college-educated test takers.  Why didn't you retake?

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 09:28:14 AM »
Haha lovebutton, that sounds more and more appealing every day.   :)

hey, whatever pays the bills!