Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What's the Max Point Jump?  (Read 3173 times)

BLUE EYED MONSTER

• See. It's a giant hat. It's funny.
    • View Profile
Re: What's the Max Point Jump?
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 01:58:07 AM »
It all depends on where you start. I think it's possible to improve as much as you are willing to work for. As for me, My original diagnostic was a 146. I screwed around with my prep and got a 152 on the Dec. 06 test. Big mistake. After that, I made the choice to buckle down and put in the work and it has paid great dividends. Before the Sept. test I was preping at 168-169 consistantly. I had a bad day (-8 on games, normally - 1) and got a 163 so I'm retaking. The great thing about it is that I have the chance to get even better before December. It's an opportunity.

I'm not that smart. I don't think I'm diferent from anyone else. Definitely not trying to talk myself up. Their are a lot of people doing better than me. The point is that it's possible. If there were ever a time to insert the "if I can do it anyone can" cliche this is it.

Does it work for everyone? Of course not. There are countless stories of people who beat their heads against the wall for months and never improve. Who knows maybe I screw up another section in Dec. and don't help myself at all. Nothing is guaranteed. It is however resonable to believe the only limits you have are the ones that you place on yourself. Need a 25 point increase? Go for it but be willing to put in the time.

I will say that those last few points are the toughest to get. After countless 169's I would probably give my first born for a one point increase. A 178 would probably work for me. :)

giveme170

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 04:37:31 AM »
It all depends on where you start. I think it's possible to improve as much as you are willing to work for. As for me, My original diagnostic was a 146. I screwed around with my prep and got a 152 on the Dec. 06 test. Big mistake. After that, I made the choice to buckle down and put in the work and it has paid great dividends. Before the Sept. test I was preping at 168-169 consistantly. I had a bad day (-8 on games, normally - 1) and got a 163 so I'm retaking. The great thing about it is that I have the chance to get even better before December. It's an opportunity.

I'm not that smart. I don't think I'm diferent from anyone else. Definitely not trying to talk myself up. Their are a lot of people doing better than me. The point is that it's possible. If there were ever a time to insert the "if I can do it anyone can" cliche this is it.

Does it work for everyone? Of course not. There are countless stories of people who beat their heads against the wall for months and never improve. Who knows maybe I screw up another section in Dec. and don't help myself at all. Nothing is guaranteed. It is however resonable to believe the only limits you have are the ones that you place on yourself. Need a 25 point increase? Go for it but be willing to put in the time.

I will say that those last few points are the toughest to get. After countless 169's I would probably give my first born for a one point increase. A 178 would probably work for me. :)

Hey, how long did you prep? anything above 170 would make me so happy.  :)

BLUE EYED MONSTER

• See. It's a giant hat. It's funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 11:04:34 AM »

Hey, how long did you prep? anything above 170 would make me so happy.  :)

About five months of reading the bibles over and over. After that, an avg. of three hours a day, six days a week for three months. It was tough because of my situation (wife, full time job, etc.) but it was what I needed. A lot of people need much less. Some need more. I'm taking a little bit different approach for December because now it's about refining my skills and getting more accurate. The point is that if you set a goal and you are smart about how you work then it is attainable. I found that as soon as I hit a goal that I had set for myself, I would find myself wanting more. 170 seems to be the magic number but don't stop there. If people are out there getting 175-180 then why not you or me or anyone else. I'm starting to feel a little like Tony Robins now. I'll get down off the soap box.   

I often think about what my life will be like after my LSAT prep is over. I think there is some sick part of me that is going to miss it.   

ghil04

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 04:57:58 PM »
Went from 159 (cold) to 172 (actual) in about three months of studying, of which only the last three-four weeks were substantive.  If you're willing to put in at least 6 hours a day for a few months, I think anyone can achieve 10-15 point increases. 

studymaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 10:13:00 PM »
Are you talking about from diagnostic to real test or between a first test and a retake?

In the first case you can easily do a 60 point jump, it's just about prepping.

As for retaking, I improved from a 156 to a 178, and I'm confident anyone putting in the same amount of work can do the same.

ě- Your advice is consistently worthless. If you know ANY way to "easliy" get a 180 you would be exploiting that secret for millions. You wouldn't be saying retarded things on a board where peopel are tyrign to get help.
It is whispered that soon, if we all heed the call, the piper will lead us to reason.

CrnchyCereal

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 01:45:29 AM »
First diagnostic with little prep beyond a general introduction as presented by a PR book: 161
Actual September exam: 180
Time spent working my ass off: 4 months

It can be done.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 01:51:54 AM »
Are you talking about from diagnostic to real test or between a first test and a retake?

As for retaking, I improved from a 156 to a 178, and I'm confident anyone putting in the same amount of work can do the same.

ě- Your advice is consistently worthless. If you know ANY way to "easliy" get a 180 you would be exploiting that secret for millions. You wouldn't be saying retarded things on a board where peopel are tyrign to get help.

Whatever.

studymaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 07:08:52 AM »

Whatever.

Simply amazing, I bow to superior logic.
It is whispered that soon, if we all heed the call, the piper will lead us to reason.

gclemen1

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2007, 09:23:36 AM »
I jumped 15 points (151 to 166) in about 3 months, and I think if I took it again I would prob. be around 170, so alot is possible!

SoftFactor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2007, 12:39:12 PM »
e -

Didn't you get a 153 and use your surpeme soft factors to get into NYU? Yet, here you mentioned going from 156 to 178? If you had a 178 on an LSAT, even with a 153 or 156 beforehand, it hardly makes your NYU acceptance noteworthy...