Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Proper way to ask for scholarship money?  (Read 1668 times)

adcqtpie

• 161, 2.63
    • MSN Messenger - monicarparran@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - thedcqtpie
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - superstar577
    • View Profile
    • Email
Proper way to ask for scholarship money?
« on: March 16, 2004, 10:33:32 AM »
I have been accepted at both Santa Clara and Univ of San Fran (as well as several other schools).  Santa Clara has offered me 17k in scholarships, I am a finalist at Loyola Chicago for a scholarship for 3/4 tuition, and Howard Univ has offered me a 1/2 tuition scholarship. 

Univ of San Fran is by far my first choice, but off course, they have offered no money. :( 

What is the best way to tell them that i really want to go there, but that i need money to do so?  Also, I will be visiting the campus next week.  Should i start off with an email asking for additional funds or should i just schedule an appointment with the admissions office without telling them that i want to discuss money?

Also any thoughts on USF v. Santa Clara v. Loyola Chicago>

Anti_Ivy

Re: Proper way to ask for scholarship money?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 11:31:38 AM »
I don't know too much about your situation, so I will just give you my opinion.

What is the best way to tell them that i really want to go there, but that i need money to do so?

I think that by just visiting the school and following up, you will let USF know that you are interested in attending.  While you are there, will you be taking a supervised tour?  Will you be seating in a class?  If not, try to schedule a tour, and a course to sit in.  Doing both of those will show the school that you are genuinely interested in the campus.

Also, I will be visiting the campus next week.  Should i start off with an email asking for additional funds or should i just schedule an appointment with the admissions office without telling them that i want to discuss money?

I am not sure who you would need to meet with.  I think you would need to speak with the scholarships/financial aid office, not the admissions office.  If you are not sure, call the school and ask whom you would need to set up an appointment with.  I do not recommend sending an email.  Just have a meeting with whomever can offer you more money and ask him/her is you can get any more aid.  Make sure to bring your offers from all of your schools, even the ones you may not be considering.  1/2 tuition scholarship at Howard will not have much hold (since Howard is a tier 3 school and USF is tier 2), but since Loyola Chicago is ranked higher than USF, a scholarship for 3/4 tuition should get you some money.  Even Santa Clara is higher ranked than San Fran, so that should give you some pull.  Just make sure that you emphasize your interest in USF, but that you NEED scholarship money.   Donít throw USFís lower ranking in the advisorís face; just make sure to mention that you have been accepted to two higher ranked law schools, both of which are offering you some money. Yes, I know you are merely a finalist for the Loyola scholarship, but the money at Santa Clara is nothing to laugh at.  Make sure to ask the advisor is there are any scholarships you can apply for, or if there is any other aid USF can offer you.  Make an effort, but donít beg.  If s/he says there is no more money, follow up (via phone) a week or so later to ask again.  After all, someone could turn down USF and a full tuition scholarship that went with his/her admission. 

Also any thoughts on USF v. Santa Clara v. Loyola Chicago

I don't know much about these schools.  I know that Loyola Chicago was ranked number 69 last year, while Santa Clara was ranked 91, with USF being ranked at number 97.  If you go to

http://www.princetonreview.com/law/

you can search for the school and find stats such as employment rate, bar pass rate, average salary, etc.  Maybe that will give you some help in deciding what school is best for you.

adcqtpie

• 161, 2.63
    • MSN Messenger - monicarparran@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - thedcqtpie
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - superstar577
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thank you so much
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 11:50:16 AM »
I really appreciate all your help!

Anti_Ivy

Re: Proper way to ask for scholarship money?
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 11:51:26 AM »
No problemo.

I hope you get what you want.